1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. oasked

oasked Stuck in the Mud

Sweet. Thanks for the update. :D

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

To allow the rod to clear the exhaust stud that it's bolted to.

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Excelent update! You've got me hooked on this, can't wait to see this beauty on the road :D

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ah, just looked at the pictures again, paying a touch more attention. Makes sense now - didn't see that the manifold bent around and effectively came back on itself, I thought it was some weirdass secondary part to the system.

5. GreatOldOne

Yeah - it's a bit wierd.

Each half of the manifold collects three exhaust ports into one pipe. These are in turn combined together into a single larger pipe which take a 180 degree turn to come back on itself. There is then a link pipe that runs further forward which then goes into the splitter which directs the exhaust gases to each side of the car and the silencers. (this is the bit you can see in the foreground of the pics)

I think the idea is that the link pipe is replaced by a cat in catalysed cars, and therefore all the gasses need to pass through it before being diverted - hence the convoluted combing then splitting. Mine is old enough not to have a cat (that's why I have the link pipe and have sealed up the oxygen sensor port on the system).

In my case it would have been easier just to route the back three cylinders to the left and the front three to the right... But that would mean they'd have to have two separate BMW exhaust systems for M20 powered cars...

6. Krikkit

Although they're already making a complete kit - it couldn't be that hard, could it? The secondary type would be much, much simpler to produce too.

7. GreatOldOne

Correct.

But TBH, I've given up trying to second guess why Marlin does things the way it does... Especially with some of the stories I was told by other Sportster builders at Stoneleigh this year (which I won't go into).

There's also a rumour that they've stopped producing the Sportster - nothing concrete, but it was doing the rounds at the Marlin Owners Club at the show... Just glad I've got all the bits I needed that could only be sourced from Marlin now!

8. Krikkit

I'm sure they'd support current customers if they stopped it - they might've just stopped taking new orders.

They do seem to do some things ass-backwards tbh. Then again you can't suit everyone!

9. GreatOldOne

10. Krikkit

Your website appears to be dead GOO. :(

11. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Working for me.
    Cool update GOO, hard to believe this project is in the 4th year.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

It was kaput when I first tried, it's up again now.
    Nice update GOO :D

13. GreatOldOne

Sorry - site got screwed. It's OK now though. :)

14. Krikkit

Looks like fun fitting all that fibreglass. I'm not sure I would've managed such precise cutting without a few nervous moments!

How much would it be for a new tub if you buggered that one up?

Any thoughts on what colour you'll be going for?

15. GreatOldOne

Well, It was nerve wracking taking powertools to the fibreglass the first time round. I lucked out and managed to find the sweet spot on the door / tub angle first time, so I didn't have to keep trimming.

I will tell you one thing though - I hate fibreglass dust. It itches like hell. :(

I did manage one cock up though - It didn't make this update, but I've fitted the stiker pins. I had to cut some holes in the tub for the pins to stick out of. After measuring not once or twice but three times, I cut the holes, mounted the pins and closed the doors.

Click. It fits! but hang on, the door isn't fully closed. Shove door. Click again. It's now fully shut, and out of alignment with the chassis rail and the tub upright.

Cue violent fit of tourettes syndrome

I'd not realised that the latches had two 'positions', and when I measured the pin location relative to the door and the chassis, I had the pin in the first position. :duh:

So my carefully positioned hole was now 5mm out each side, as was the pin. The pin position was easily sorted - I just elongated the hole the pin bots into and slid it over until the door was in the correct position when the pin was fully home in the latch.

The fibreglas is a different matter. The pin now sits off to one side of the hole cut in the 'glass. Apparently it's something pretty much all the other builders have had similar problems with, and they tell me not to worry about it as it's not readilly aparent once the car is fully assembled. 'It's there for adjustment, honest' ;)

The thing is, I know it's there. :(

I guess I'm going to have to either fill the hole in with some new fibre glass and recut it, or make a cover plate (I was thinking of stainless steel polished up, sized for the door cross section attached to the tub with just the pin sticking through).

Ho Humm. I'll sort it out - some how. :)

16. Krikkit

That's a bit of a wound. I suppose a stainless plate would look really pimp on there though, covering up a small error too! :p

17. GreatOldOne

A sneak peak from what'll be in the next update:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have to do the other side, but it's looking good. :D

jhanlon303 likes this.
  18. customh

customh conflagration.

You dog, why do you show us this teasing material?!

19. Krikkit

Oooh yeah, side exhaust cheesecake.

20. The_Norwegian

The_Norwegian Owls R' Us

oh i can definatly get off to that