1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

LOL @ Mrs. G's inputs :D:D

You know what it'll be like: "It's only staying here for a minute..", 3 months later..

2. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

A bedroom isnt complete without some sort of oily car component (engine preferably)!

3. fev

fev Industry Fallout

engine as coffee table, i can see my house next year. Flatmate matt is doing motorsport engineering, so next years house has got double trouble lol

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Gotta love the Engine coffee table off Top Gear. That was sweet.

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

More progress this weekend.

Got both of the trailing arms completely dissasembled (drive shafts out, hubs removed, brake disks removed, brake calipers and hand brake shoes off, splash shields off), and cleaned up. The hardest job was driving the old bearings out of the castings - but a large, old socket and a club hammer got them out in the end.

I cleaned them up with what's fast becoming my favourite tool - the angle grinder. A wire brush attachment on it made short work of the old paint and the surface rust.

The diff took a bit more work, as there was some serious encrustations on it - but the air hammer chipped off those, and a scrouring with the wirebrush finished it off.

I did have a bit of a 'senior' moment whilst cleaning the diff though. There's some plates behind the drive shaft flanges - which I mistakenly took for covers for the oil seals. Nope. They are the oil seals - and the main bearing mounts for the diff gearing. Ooops. :duh:

One large puddle of diff oil later, and some swearing, it was back together.

Ah well. You live and learn, eh? And the oil needed changing anyway... ;)

6. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Sounds good, any pictures? Before and after maybe?

Following with interest :D

When do you first batch of parts come through?

'doc

7. davew

davew What's a Dremel?

Is much of the stuff that needs cleaning/derusting steel? Have you tried using electrolysis to get the rust off? Do a google for electrolysis rust removal. I used that to get the rust off all the bits of a sierra I took apart for a similar project. Once you have it set up you can just attach wires to the rusty parts and chuck them in and leave them for about a day and they come out rust free. I even put the full front uprights and hubs in as a whole and they came out ok, the bearings still seem to run well, although I haven't tried running them at proper loads and speeds yet so they might turn out to be messed up. I sprayed them with WD40 after to shift the water and also put them in the oven at a low temperature for a while to dry them off quick before they started to rust again.

WARNING: Some of the results from google suggest using a stainless steel electrode which I'm told is a bad idea as it produces hexavalent chromate which can cause cancer.

8. GreatOldOne

Dave - no I hadn't thought of that... However, I think I'll stick with the trusy wire brushes. I don't have a tank big enough for the other bits I need to do, and whilst it's dusty work, I know I'm not going to kill myself if I get the solution / electrodes wrong.

Murdoc - I'll try and take some piccies tommorow - the'll be of an intermediate stage of renewal, as they still need a degrease, a dose of metal prep and then paint

9. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

You have learned this too I see, just dont wear shorts when doing this, I had to pull out several small pieces of wire from my legs in the past. A dust mask is a good idea too.

This car project inspires me, but I dont have any money to use on that, darn school.

10. GreatOldOne

Shorts? In this weather? It's been snowing over here! :hehe:

Seriously, I know what you mean. I've been wearing jeans under a heavy coverall, and after I'd finished the brushing the tops of my legs looked like a metal hedghog - I was picking wires out for the fabric for a good 10 mins... Rather the coverall got impaled than my thighs! :D

11. fev

fev Industry Fallout

*takes note* i always wonder around the garage in shorts, seems manly... that and i've always crawled from bed into the garage if i've been working on something.

12. tecguy

tecguy What's a Dremel?

So i am not alone either i watch them i really like that sort of that stuff buidling cars etc well you could try and get the program kit car the whole series because the perosn doing it had never built a car i don't think,that could help,also try and get some of the parts from a junk yard or something to make it on the cheap just in case anything goes wrong and if you like it get the brand new stuff :clap: :thumb:

13. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Love to do a kit car one day. I need a garage first tho :D

14. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

Bare foot and shorts in redneck shops is common here. You can always close your eyes instead of wearing glasses...and what are gloves? ;)

How much power do you aim to get? I'm saving up for a 408ci (6.7L) V-8 425-500HP/500+TQ for my mom's Dodge Durango (until I buy it from her). I've been thinking about shoving the 408 in a E39 3-Series but a 4X4 is more practical for me.

15. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

u will have to take the bearings out, wash them in a solvent (dont use gas unless u wanna go boom), then repack (theres a technique to it) them with the propper bearing grease. it makes a really big difference. you wouldnt get far at all before your half shafts stopped turning if all u are lubing them with is WD40

16. davew

davew What's a Dremel?

Not just lubing them with WD40.... just used that to displace the water afterwards so it didn't all rust again. The original grease is still there. I will make some short runs checking things aren't getting too hot when I'm done though to be sure. If they are it's only about £6 for new bearings.

I'm not sure if any water will have even got into the bearings as the seals seem quite good and it didn't bubble on putting them in. Even if a little water did get past the seals shouldn't it be stopped by all the grease? I would've thought it'd be expected for some water to get in through normal use in the rain and driving through puddles etc and as far as I can tell the grease isn't affected by water.

Thanks for the warning :)

17. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

if u imersed them in anything, they should be taken apart, cleaned, and repacked with grease. and if they fail, they are going to take out more than just the bearing itself.

18. GreatOldOne

More work, more tools. Life is good. ;)

I finished off cleaning up the diff and the drive shafts on Saturday, and after degreasing them and then etching the surface with metal prep I painted them up.

The diff has been given a coat of silver paint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drive shafts have been divested of about half a tonne of accumulated crap, and painted black and silver. The CV boots look brand new now, after a scrub with a nylon brush and some detergent. A quick blast with a hot air gun took any spots of tar off them, and gave them a new 'finish'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the drive flanges - the splined shafts go in either side of the diff, and then the drive shafts are bolted on.

[​IMG]

The diff drain plugs

[​IMG]

Ran out of time to paint the trailing arms, but they've been degreased, and just need a metal prep and a coat of black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to blag some more air tools on eBay last week, and they turned up at work this morning. I've got a riveter:

[​IMG]

And this beast is a rivnut setter

[​IMG]

The guy selling the rivnut tool said he'd send some rivnuts to start me off. Some turned out to be several kilos of the buggers.

[​IMG]

No wonder the postage cost so much! ;)

Last edited: 19 Jun 2008
  19. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

What kind of a man are you, you should be using a hand rivet gun :p
    Looking good, the CV joint grease is a b**** to get off anything.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends what hexavalent chromate though. Ive been using "hexavalent" chromate in the lab since 6th form, but some are more toxic than others.