1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

That explains a hell of a lot, bindi... :D

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Have you not seen Erin Brokovich? :worried:

3. GreatOldOne

I suppose it's time for an update - it's been almost a month since the last one, and I haven't been idle in that time.

So what's GOO been doing? Well, I've finally painted the rear arms:

[​IMG]

I've also cleaned up the gearbox. Who'd have thought it was this colour under all that cack? ;)

[​IMG]

The front struts have had the spring seats cut off, and the hubs and bearings taken off the stub axels (I've got new ones that'll be installed later on). They've also been given an initial clean - They'll get the works later on after Marlin have modified them:

[​IMG]

The rear hubs have been cleaned up as well, and the mounting surface has been refinished:

[​IMG]

This weekend has been all about painting and refurbing the brake calipers. I've painted up the rear brake shields and some of the brakets and clips required on the rear arms:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a lot of pics of my brake refurb adventure here

But suffice to say I took 4 lumps of cruddy iron and made them look like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Jun 2008
  4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Nice to see everything's still coming along well :) Good job on those brake calipers, they look like brand new ones!

5. fev

fev Industry Fallout

hurrah back on track... i've been bogged under with work however... passed the 2l zetec onto a mate to go into his fiesta project and i'm going with a midget now... as long as funds allow it

6. chucksta

chucksta What's a Dremel?

:rock: great pick we've got one signed by carol shelby. The body is kit but the rest is orginal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

great work man, are most of the garages that size?

7. GreatOldOne

In new build houses, yep. Mine is actually a little larger than what is legally allowed to be quoted as a single garage. Obviously, some houses have double garages which would be a god-send, but you make do with what you have. ;)

Of course, when I win the lottery, I shall be building my own house with a very large garage. :D

8. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I was wondering what you have been doing GOO, when are you thinking it will be done by? It is amazing what a fresh coat of pant will do to somthing.

9. asteroth

asteroth What's a Dremel?

fantastic project!!

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They have it in every chemistry lab! Hexa just means 6, 6 of WHAT attached?? If you're talking something like EDTA then it'll be nasty. If you're talking water, then it's just chrome ions.

:D:D

11. GreatOldOne

The plan (currently) is to have it all finished and on the road in time for Le Mans 2007, so we can take a blast down to the race for a long weekend and stretch it's legs. Whether or not that's a realistic target is up for grabs, as I really need to get all the refurb and engine rebuild out of the way first, which is going to be maybe another couple of months. Then I can get the chassis, but that has a 6-8 week lead on it once the deposit is paid.

I could overlap that with the engine rebuild, but knowing my luck something will come up and I'd end up having to finish the engine whilst trying to work around the chassis and other Marlin bits - as you can see from the pics, space is at a premium.

After that I'm hoping that things should (pardon the pun) motor along nicely, as I'll be bolting on nice clean bits and new components to a brand new chassis. I can see the only other issues in getting finished is getting it into paint, as I have no idea where I'm going to get that done (no chance of doing it myself, as a) My compressor isn't up to the job, b) GOO isn't up to the job and c) that 2 pac car paint is bloody lethal), and getting it through the SVA test to get it legally on the road.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well GOO, where's the updates? Surely you managed to get a few days in over the Easter weekend? :p

13. fev

fev Industry Fallout

if you want it spraying chap I'm sure i could take a visit over in the van and sort something out ;)

14. GreatOldOne

Erm... guess you didn't see the big update up there ^^^^ ? :eyebrow: :D

I'll keep you in mind. :thumb:

15. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Trailer it to a body shop then? :)

16. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Any updates, good weekend for getting some work done? ;)

'doc

17. GreatOldOne

There has been progress. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up. Suffice to say that the intake manifold, fuel rail, injectors, starter motor and alternator look a damn site cleaner than they once did. ;)

18. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I didn't have to clean or refurb any of the parts on my Westfield, but I can say that working on the engine was the most satisfying bit. There have been some times when we've worked for 4+ hours, and only done something tiny, but which required a lot of work. For example, we spent at least two evenings doing the fuel lines. Because most of the parts are off other cars, Ford, VW, etc, nothing ever quite fits perfectly. Almost everything needed some form of modifying, and I bet the same will be true for yours. But it wouldn't be a proper project if everything worked first time, would it? :p

19. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Hexachromate I assume means chromium in a 6+ valence state. Which would be a very good oxidising agent. And hence would not be very nice if ingested e.t.c

20. GreatOldOne

I've taken the promised pics, but my web space seems to be down as I can't FTP to it. :(

I'll try tommorow.