1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. fev

fev Industry Fallout

that's not got enough

*starts rocking back and forth*

2. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

ohhhhhh.. :( i was also looking foward to another update :waah:

3. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I can provide some if you like?

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Thanks for the offer - I don't think it's a space issue. Pipex have a notice up saying some users are experiening log-on issues with their webspace. Guess I'm one of them...

Ho hum. I'll get the piccies up ASAHP - if only to stop Fev from mumbling in the corner whilst he's sniffing petrol. ;)

5. fev

fev Industry Fallout

I CAN STOP ANYTIME I WANT

I just don't want to

6. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

*Cracks open a Jerry can and sits in the corner with Fev*

7. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

sooo..../me taps fingers on desk...has pipex shorted you out with ftp acess yet??

...no pressure or anything... :p

8. GreatOldOne

Everyone take a deep breath; And relax... ;)

I haven't had chance to check out the status yet. I wasn't in last night, so I'll check again when I get home, but then I'm away for the weekend - so if the FTP hasn't come back up today, don't expect anything until Sunday at the earliest :(

9. fev

fev Industry Fallout

GET ON WITH IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

10. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

My feelings on the matter exactly.

11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

GOO, if you want some free hosting for this... just drop me a PM and I'll sort you out with whatever

12. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

I'm going to let my first post on this topic be this:
    If i have to get all excited seeing an update email in my inbox, rush over here and see that you haven't updated one more time, i may very well cry.
    Now you don't want to make me cry do you?
    So you know PUT THE UPDATE ONLINE

13. GreatOldOne

Right, I've given Pipex a good stern talking to, and everything should be OK now... Aledgedly. ;)

Apparently some planned system work at Pipex's end didn't go to plan, and has bolloxed up several dslspace accounts. But mine seems to be OK, according to PipexBob, the techie drone I talked to, and all I need do is change my FTP client to use an active rather than passive connection.

I'll give the upload a go when I get in from work. You can almost smell the Antici.................................pation. :D

14. fev

fev Industry Fallout

good thing this was posted, i'd just packed the shotgun into the boot and was going to head off back home via Pipex

15. GreatOldOne

Yay - we're back up and running! :clap:

So - here's what GOO's been up to since the last real update. I've pretty much finished refurbing all of the parts that are required, bar the steering column (all that needs is a quick lick of paint) and the engine itself. I've cleaned up the intake manifold, last seen like this:

[​IMG]

After a good dose of metal cleaner and a good seeing too with some brass brushes it now looks far shinier:

[​IMG]

The alternator has been completely stripped, cleaned, lubed and painted. All it requires is a new voltage regulator / brush set (it comes as one unit), as the brushes are a little worn:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also given the injectors, fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator a coat of paint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The throttle body has also been stripped down and cleaned, with a mixture of carb cleaner and elbow grease with the brass brushes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I've also stripped and rebuilt the starter motor in much the same way as the alternator. Here's all the bits before reassembly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here they are in a more recognisable form:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In both cases, both the alternator and starter motor's aluminium components got a couple of coats of etch primer before several coats of aluminium calliper paint. My reasoning behind this is if it's hard wearing enough and resistant to the high temps found on brakes, it'll laugh at anything thrown at it in the engine bay. Plus it won't go manky like a bare ally casting would. The steel parts got a couple of coats of smooth Hammerite.

I've also cleaned up the Air mass sensor, and the clutch slave cylinder - but no pics of those yet. The crankcase breather tube has been degreased, as well as the gearbox mounting bracket - they need a coat of paint to finish them off.

So really, the next step is to tear into the engine. That'll be fun... :D

Last edited: 19 Jun 2008
  16. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Looking good. The transformation of the parts is pretty amazing to see so you must be chuffed as a butty (is that just a northern phrase?) with the work you've done!

17. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Jolly good update!

18. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Damn dude, that's some stunning restoration work on the various parts, they look brand new! :clap:

19. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

good jaawb on the resurection!!!

...it is so amazing to see the before and after shots, and I can only imagine how much satisfaction you must get seeing them after all the work has been put in, and everything looking brand new!!! keep it up!

20. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Cosmeticaly everything looks great, what the mechanical condition of everything. Keep going on this, it will be nice to see this come together.