1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in court at 2.30 pm UPDATED

Discussion in 'General' started by Ryu_ookami, 14 Feb 2005.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

i have to appear in court at 2.30 pm today and for once i'm looking forward to going because for once i know that i have done nothing wrong.

it appears that because my GF and I use a TV as a secondary monitor that we need a tv licence according to the tv licenceing authority. despite it not being connected to an arial or a digital connection of any kind so i'm going to go down and plead not guilty then state that i have told the TVLA on numerous occassions that its not connected up that its used by me whilst i'm using graphic design programs and (games got to love ut2k on a large screen tv) and that its used by my gf who is partially sighted and that the piece of paper that they have that my GF signed signing that she was using a TV illegally is going to be stomped on because when she open the door the security camera i have next to it was recording so i have it on tape that the TVLA enforcer that came around told her that the paper was just so that he could show his manager that he had been around and in no way mean that she had admitted liabilty the paper also states that he came in when the security tape shows he did'nt. so all in asll as long as all goes well it should be
    a good afternoon.

:)

on the same note i'm not the first that they hae done this to heres a good site to read some of the replies are quiet funny

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=107375&page=4&pp=25

Last edited: 1 Mar 2005
  2. fuzzball172

fuzzball172 What's a Dremel?

:rock: good luck... :rock:

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

best of luck

4. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

TV License = Owning a TV, not using a tv, you dont have a leg to stand on.

5. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Good luck, but I always thought that as long as you had the capability or device to receive broadcasts you have to pay, even if the arial is not plugged in.

TV licenses really piss me off in general, I hate paying it. (even though I only ever paid it once)

6. RTT

RTT #parp

wrong :)

You need a TV License only when:

- You receive or record broadcast TV signals.

It is as simple as that. if you use a TV only for a games console, or a 2nd monitor on your PC, or any other activity that DOES NOT involve receiving broadcast TV, you do not need a license.

This is why he is able to plead not guilty :thumb:

7. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Really?

So I can just tell them I only use my TV for DVDs then and not have to hide behind the sofa everytime the doorbell rings?

8. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Good luck :)

I am of the understanding that, when it comes to TV licencing:

1) The TV license people have yet to have 'detector van' information submitted as viable evidence in court - apparently they have not done so because its not accurate enough to pinpoint a particular TV set, and false readings can be given off by other electrical equipment. There is even some debate as to whether there are really any TV detector vans in regular use because of this very reason!

2) They have no right to enter your property without a warrant - if they ask to come in and see your television, you're not legally obliged to let them do so unless they can produce a warrant (which 99/100 times, they will be unable to do).

3) If you use your TV set only for video games/DVDs, and detune it so it receives no channels at all (just static/white noise), then you don't need a license.

Personally I loathe the tactics of the TV licence people in this country - the constant snotty, condescending and downright rude letters with 'WARNING: YOU NEED A TV LICENCE' plastered all over them (no I ****ing don't, since I don't have a TV!), and threats about how they've doubled their enforcement teams in the past year and all this other baloney.

I wouldn't mind paying the license fee actually if I had a TV, I believe the BBC provides a good service (I watch most of my TV at home, but none at uni) and I'd be willing to pay to have that service without advertising, but the way it is 'enforced' is IMHO over-zealous.

The sort of underhand tactics Ryu_ookami speaks of, where they get people to let them in or make them sign things without knowing what they are, are all to common from what I've heard.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2005
  9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Having had the undilluted "joy" of experiencing Dutch, German, Belgian, French and Italian TV, as well as a rich sampling of South American (Venuzuelan and Carribean), Spanish and Portuguese TV, I can with some confidence say that generally TV in the UK is some of the best in the world. When you consider programmes like Big Brother that is a scary thought, perhaps :worried: but it is true. Especially some BBC productions are outstanding. I think the licence fee we pay for this is a relative bargain.

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Lord_A - yep - you don't need a license to watch just DVDs :)

The best course of action is to not let the inspectors in, better still don't even talk to them or open the door full stop.

Fact: They have no more right than any other citizen to come into your house.

The only time they may enter your house by law is when they have a warrant to do so, and will usually be accompanied by a police officer. However, to get a warrant they must have photographic evidence of a TV in your premises receiving a broadcast signal (a picture of it with an aerial connected is enough, or where they can match up the picture of the TV with what was being broadcast at that time of day).

So the lesson is: don't let them in and they can't get a picture. They can't get in by law without that picture ;)

HTH

Edit, TV detector van evidence does not stand up in court. Edit beaten by will :D

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Hope you win this one mate, you've done nothing wrong

<A88>

12. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Best of luck mate , be interesting to see what does happen ?

13. planki

planki ...

all sounds a bit harsh to me, good luck in court!

14. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

It's particularly bad in student flats or other places where the tenants change regularly - we were always getting 'last warnings' for the previous tenants when we had paid in full. Just because they cba to get their records in order they end up threatening those people playing by the rules. It's fair enough to say 'they don't live there' but would they believe you without a load of unnecessary fuss?

15. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Have fun :thumb:

Always nice knowing your right

16. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Yes I agree, having lived in 4 different countries, BBC is great, especially the documentaries they produce.
    However I hardly ever watch TV, and by that I mean less than an hour a week if even that much. So I refuse to pay on those grounds.

Very interesting facts there RTT, now I'll just tell them to f-off next time :thumb:

btw, how does it work when you have Sky? Can you even subscribe to Sky without a license?

17. RTT

RTT #parp

Don't even tell them to f-off, don't even speak a word to them.

Unfortunately you need a license if you have Sky.

Another interesting point worth mentioning is that if you buy a TV, from say Curries, they pass on your info to the TV Licensing people. Always buy a TV with cash, and there is no trace for them to follow and check up on you. :thumb:

18. yourmomma

yourmomma What's a Dremel?

good luck and don't let the b******s grind you down

19. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Do they just randomly knock on people's door and barge in? without any kind of legal documentation that they are allowed to check your home?

Weird people.

L

20. RTT

RTT #parp

They knock on peoples doors who are listed as not having a TV License. Even if you tell them you do not have one by phone they will still make periodic visits to check.
    Thing is, people do not realise that you can refuse entry and make the mistake of letting them in. Or, as in the case of the OP, are conned into signing things.