1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks i'm looking for a laptop...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notatoad, 16 Mar 2007.

1. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

that has a small screen (~12") and a good battery life and costs about $1000CDN. i don't really want to go with a macbook. can anybody point me in the right direction. (i know, i should google it, but that brings up so many results that don't really relate to what i want)

also, is it possible to underclock a laptop to get more out of the battery? all i really want it to do is watch some movies and do a bit of homework/coding.

2. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

3. GameTraveler

GameTraveler What's a Dremel?

Averatec products seem decent. My brother has one, with a screen that that's small enough to even fit your requirements. I can't remember the model number, but he got it at a Sam's Club or Costco. All white like the macbooks, had wireless, decent battery life, firewire and a few USB ports (sometimes one can never have enough of these for some reason).

YMMV

4. Cuban

Cuban What's a Dremel?

hello, ive been looking at similar spec laptops my self recently.
    This one has caught my eye, costs around £600 in the uk so im guessing about $800.

as for underclocking most laptops will automatically do this and is commonly known as speed stepping. it will only run the processor at full speed only when it needs too. there are also software options that allow you more control of this like speedswitchxp

5. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

You might also look at Gateway. They have a 12" that I've been trying to convince myself not to buy for quite a while now. I think it's $1050CAD, http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529664467.php.

I saw mention of Averatec - they have pretty good prices, but if you're going for one of those make sure you find one in a store and try it out first. I can't stand their keyboards.

6. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

Want the same sort of thing but in UK any suggestions was looking at an MSI for £600 odd which in the future I would upgrade the ram. But it's out of stock. Any other ideas for purchase within UK?

7. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Laptops Direct
    Laptop Shop
    Laptop Superstore

But I can personally recommend HP notebooks. I've got a Pavilion ZD8228EA here, and it's a great system.
    It's only got a Radeon X600 in it, but I never bought it specifically to play games on (although I can), and it's more than capable of doing everything I use it for :thumb: