1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice I'm looking for some advice on how to improve my PC build.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anthony Miller, 18 Jan 2022.

1. Anthony Miller

Anthony Miller What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys,

I'm a first-time visitor here, and I'm creating my own gaming PC. As you can see, I've decided on all of the components that are necessary for me to build my gaming PC. I'm not a Professional Gamer or an Expert in PC Hardware and Technology, to be precise.

I used the PC Builder website to make this component list, which is quite wonderful, as well as my numerous relatives who have suggested it to me. So, now I'm here for an open suggestion about Is this PC Build Rig Efficient or Reliable?

Or is there any product that I should change? That's all I'm interested in finding out...So, please let me know what you think about it.

PC Builder Part List: https://pcbuilder.net/rigs/2SECwR/

1. Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12 Cores & 24 Threads Unlocked Desktop Processor Without Cooler ($531.52 @ Amazon US)

2. Motherboard: Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, on-Board WiFi 6 (802.11Ax), 2.5 Gbps LAN, USB 3.2, SATA, M.2, Node and Aura Sync RGB Lighting ($395.00 @ Amazon US)

3. CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM AIO Liquid CPU Cooler,240mm,Dual ML120 PRO RGB PWM Fans, ($202.99 @ Amazon US)

4. Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh White Airflow ATX Mid-Tower with Polygonal Mesh Front Panel, Crystalline Tempered Glass, E-ATX up to 10.5", Three 120mm ARGB Fans & ARGB Lighting System ($119.99 @ Amazon US)

5. Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming, 12GB GDDR6, Dual-Fan, Metal Backplate ($879.99 @ Amazon US)

6. RAM: Thermaltake TOUGHRAM RGB DDR4 4400MHz 16GB (8GB x 2) 16.8 Million Color RGB Alexa/Razer Chroma/5V Motherboard Syncable RGB Memory ($205.99 @ Amazon US)

7. RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series, 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4-4800MHz Desktop Memory Model with CL18 ($482.00 @ Amazon US)

8. Storage: Samsung EVO 970 1TB PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2-2280 Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology & 1024MB Cache ($178.89 @ Amazon US)

9. Case Cooler: Corsair Ql120 RGB, 120mm RGB LED Fan, Triple Pack with Lighting Node Core ($97.99 @ Amazon US)

10. Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE 750, 80+ Gold Certified 750W Full Modular Power Supply ($107.99 @ Amazon US)

11. Monitor: Dell S-Series 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Gaming Monitor QHD (2560 x 1440) up to 155 Hz; 16:9; 1ms Response time; HDMI 2.0; DP 1.2; USB; FreeSync; LED ($403.47 @ Amazon US)

Total: $3,606
    Generated by PC Builder on 18th of January, 2022

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I'd say that you don't need two different RAM kits! So that'll save you a fair amount.

In terms of cost and power efficiency, I would personally drop the CPU to a 5600x and the motherboard to one of the B550 ones - for playing games the difference in performance is very small.

I have observed on these forums that some people really want to have the best of the best, though. If that's you, then maybe you should stick with the mega CPU!

Anthony Miller likes this.
  3. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I agree with Omnislip, unless you want bragging rights or the motherboard has a feature you really need, I'd look at a B550 motherboard and the cheaper set of memory.

With the memory in particular, there is no need to spend nearly $500 on a 16GB RAM set, especially as Ryzen generally can't push RAM past 4000MT/s (silicone lottery applies, obviously) - I'd probably just look at a 3600MT/s with low latency e.g. lower than c18. That will get you 95% of the performance at less than half the price.

4. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I have very quickly, based on the budget given in your post, thrown together something I think is better, and $200 less, which will buy you a decent keyboard/mouse/headphone combo.

https://pcbuilder.net/rigs/rEgAKC/

Some items you list though are massively overpriced, like the CPU cooler for example.

This one has a more appropriate processor and motherboard combination, but still high end ( you can save more by going with the 5600x like mentioned above if you want, still a good choice).

A much, much better graphics card. Look at 3060 vs 3070ti benchmarks here.

Better ram config (I went 32GB over 16 GB as it was only $20 more but 16GB would be fine if you want to save more, and if you want to fill all the slots just buy the dummy LED RAM things they sell here, or be the person you want to be and go mITX).

2 storage drives, so double the storage and you can use one for gaming and one for everything else. I think it is always a good idea to seperate a boot drive from a gaming drive in case something goes wrong (although unlikely).

I changed the power supply to one I have used a lot and trust but feel free to change as needed, but it is super efficient and so also very quiet in my experience.

I went a bit mad on the monitor and went all out, but hey, it's the thing you are looking at all the time, not the PC, so for me that is where the money should go.

Remember to add in a Windows licence if you dont have one or someone to help you out with one.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2022
    Anthony Miller and Omnislip like this.