1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V I'm Making A Dedicated Audo/Visual room (edit: Got a TV Stand)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by P2D, 26 Jan 2006.

1. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

After getting my new Audio equipment yesterday (Sorry if i keep going on about it, im just happy), I also convinced my mum into lettting me have the spare room (Not that spare, someone else is in it but im gonna share just for the sake of my audio equip). Thus leaving this room free to be my "Dedicated listening room", "Home Studio", "Home Theatre", "A/V Room", Whatever you wanna call it.

I've made a crappy mock in M$ paint;

[​IMG]

Photos of the room (Looks ALOT smaller than it is)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully you can get an idea of what i'll be doing later today, Will post up pics throughout and afterwards. Any questions / Hints / Tips / Ideas then let me know, i want this to be as good as possible.

Mike

(excuse the cam phone pics & my reflection in the mirror (sexAy!))

Last edited: 13 Feb 2006
  2. customh

customh conflagration.

Pretty sweet!!

3. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

/Hates you so much, you spoilt git.

J/k
    have fun ;)

Edit: nice side panel
    :p

4. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Specs | AMD 3800+ X2 @ 2.7Ghz | Geil 1gb Value kit | Sapphire Pure Innvation Radeon Xpress 200P Pi-A9RX480 | Sapphire X1800 XL | 2x Seagate 7200.7 160Gb | Lian li V2000b | Creative Audigy2 |
    To come | Mushkin Redline 2Gb | Watercooling | Sapphire X1900 XT 512 |

Says you. :hehe:

(And just 'cause i can, a cool piccy of my desk)
    [​IMG]

5. dom_

dom_ --->

[​IMG]

Now try and put one pc on the deck one under or something so it can go infront of the fire place, ditch the cupboard you dont use.

Then you will be able to bring the speakers out from corners and from being flat against the wall. The amp would be best sited under the tv too or nearer the speakers. To connect the pc either get one of those wireless squeeze box things or run a digital cable from the pc to the dac next to your amp between the speakers. You can tag this along the skirting under the door etc.

6. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Interesting design Dom_, I can'd do it tho since the fireplace has a (brick) stack which sticks out about a ft & a half. Now, the sofa didnt actually fit upstairs so i've gotta save and get myself a LCD TV, and a small (flat pack?) sofa. yay.

(and incase you didnt see my other thread, Can ya add me to MSN please? Addy in sig)

Mike

7. dom_

dom_ --->

Dont have/use msn im afraid

Im on irc often though quakenet #bit-tech

However you do the room you dont want anything between you and the speakers and you dont want the speakers in corners or flat against the wall.
    Your speakers arnt designed to perform best like this

8. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Had a quick think based on your comments / idea, And ame up with this;
    [​IMG]

I think it would be ideal, a 26" or 28" LCD would easily fit, and aslong as the doors kept closed, which it is, the speakers wouldnt be in a corner- Doesnt matter if their next to an LCD TV i'm guessing? They are sheilded and a LCD isnt exactly huge depth wise. Gonna shuffle my room around now :)

Anyone else has any ideas,
    Green = MUST be in line with each other, no blocking objects.

Red = Can go anywhere.

Black = Can't move, at all.

9. dom_

dom_ --->

Looks much better, cant think of a better way of fitting it in with the criteria.

You wont get problems with your speakers and tv, either way the tv should be flat against the wall and the speakers distance should be in your manual, depends on how they are ported etc.

10. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Ok, seeing as the sofa wouldnt fit and i dont have a LCD as yet, here's what ive done. I'm gonna bring my bed back in here until i get the sofa & lcd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can sit here and get perfectly clear sound :D
    [​IMG]

While i was at it, and seeing as the speakers are now so close to the amp i had enough cable to Bi-Wire them; I used channel 1 L&R for Low range, and Channel 2 L&R for High range. It's added a whole new depth to the sound and is a must-do for anyone with Bi-Wire / Bi-Amp able speakers!

If you'r not familiar with Bi-wireing speakers, I'll try and explain what ive learnt the last few days. Simple put, It uses one wire to send the "Low range" to the speakers, and another to send the "High & Mid". By doing so you lower the effect of the much stronger signals of the low frequency over-powering to weaker high frequencys, thus resulting in a clearer sound.

Mike

Edit: I'd like it to end up like this.
    [​IMG]

hehe

Last edited: 26 Jan 2006
  11. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

lol@you :D

Very nice setup there mate ;)

12. dom_

dom_ --->

Have you tried without the speakers toed in? As they arnt far away it might improve the stereo image.

Glad your enjoying the results though :)

13. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

The plasma gets here between 1 @ 5 tomorrow so i'll update when its arrived.

and @ Dom, i've moved them on your advice and didnt really notice anything as they was only toed in VERY slightly.

14. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Plasma? :hehe:

:wallbash:

15. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

LCD is good for around 32", any bigger and it becomes more viable to buy a plasma, mainly because there cheaper and produce better PQ on larger screens such as 42".

Tv got here today @ just gone 2, hooked it up to the PC and DVD player (not got sky+ Multiroom yet :/)

Pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty damn cool imho!

16. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

nice... but plasmas really aren't the way to go... it's out of date before it left the shop...

Be VERY careful with screenburn.. plasmas are much more succeptible than CRT's, according to a friend of mine that worked with them.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2006
  17. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Be sure that when you dust it, do not use anything containing alcohol or ammonia. Use distilled water and a very soft cloth. Make sure it is off too, static electricity hurts.

18. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Need help finding a TV stand, must be able to hold 42" looking around £200 or less, ideally from a shop like argos. (No online malarky)

19. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Pfft, No More Nails all the way!

20. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Went out today and grabbed an Xbox 360 core system along with PGR3, wireless controller & memory card. One sweet machine! loud tho :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^looks better on the screen, camera phone does no justice.

kthnxbye