1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iMac: Switching between built-in speakers and optical audio

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Shaolyen, 26 Sep 2007.

1. Shaolyen

Shaolyen Minimodder

I'm a new Mac user (I got a new iMac), and I've been loving it. One problem though...

I can't find a way to switch between the built-in speakers and the optical audio-out without unplugging the cable. Does anyone know if this is possible?

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

AFAIK, plugging in the cable or unplugging it is the only way. It might be possible using a plugin-ish thing called Soundflower, but that thing has always had some weird voodoo vibe about it that's goes right over my head.

http://www.cycling74.com/downloads/soundflower if you want to give it a try.

3. Shaolyen

Shaolyen Minimodder

Yeah, I get the feeling that it isn't going to be overly user-friendly. Thanks for the tip though, I'll give it a try if I'm feeling more adventurous!

4. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

If you go to System Preferences and then Sound I'm sure there is a way to change it.

5. Shaolyen

Shaolyen Minimodder

You're sure because you think that it'd be insane if there wasn't an option, or you're sure because you remember there being an option to change?

Because if it's the former - nope, there's no way to change it. If you view the list of sound devices in System Preferences there's one option, and that's "Digital Out". When I unplug the cable that one device option switches to built-in speakers.