1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imminent changes to Project Logs

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by WilHarris, 7 Sep 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Project Logs is probably the busiest section on the bit-tech forum, and we're eager to make it work as well as it possibly can.

We've been listening to feedback from the community about how we could make Project Logs a better place. To this end, we're changing things around.

Project Logs will now consist of two separate forums. One will be Project Logs. This will be an area for modders to post logs of their projects, as they currently do. However, replies to threads started will be limited to the original poster. This allows for a continuous log, as opposed to a post, 10 pages of 'woots', then another post. This should make logs far easier to view.

Project Comments will be the second forum. Here, modders can post threads which link to their threads in Project Logs and invite comments. This is where you can post your thoughts on the projects people are creating. You will not be allowed to start a thread about someone elses project - it will be up to the project creator to decide how and when he invites comments on his or her project.

We trust that this will make Project Logs a better forum to read, and make project feedback easier and more constructive.

If you have any comments or criticisms or thoughts, add them below. We'll take them into consideration. However, rest assured that we really have thought this through, and believe it is the best way to continue to allow Project Logs to be the kick-ass forum it should be.

2. FFT

FFT What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a good idea.

3. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

That'll definitley be good, it's very hard to see the progress in projects that you didn't follow from the start, and are like 25 pages long. Maybe there should be a function to easy link to a specific picture posted in the log thread, so you can comment on specific thing easy.

4. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

that will be cool - are you making this the comments thread for everyone to shout woots! in? ( got linkyed from project logs)

5. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

One question - will all the existing comments in current Project Logs be removed? Or can we expect them to stay, but all subsequent ones to not be possible - only in the new forum?

Hope that makes sense...

6. koola

koola Minimodder

Excellent idea :D

Anyone who has followed Modsquads project log or Nexxos knows how frustrating and long it takes to get through it!

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Finally I can read project logs and actually see progress rather than the normal 'omg its so good' comments :D

Well done bit-tech staff for deciding to do something great

8. WilHarris

In terms of existing logs, we're going to leave them open, but stop new threads being made - so people making new logs have to use the new forum. Hopefully people will transition their mods into the new forum from the old.

9. melloman

melloman What's a Dremel?

yeah, that would be great...

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Not forgetting that:

Having 2 forums, one for the project log and one for discussion means that if the modder does not want to create a discussion thread about his/her mod, he/she can just not post a discussion thread :thumb:

11. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

huzza, i will actuly start reading the project logs again.

one slight concern, is project log comments going to turn into a spam trap?

12. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Could you move this thread into project logs please - have tried emailing etc but nothing, :eyebrow:

EDIT: Sorry about that --it must have slipped past us. However it is moved now. --Nexxo

And I think this is an excellent idea, it should clean up things a bit and allow people to print them off without all these "w00ts" as you say!

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Sep 2005
  13. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

what about the image count in the new project logs forum. Is there still going to be a limit per post?

14. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Good plan I take it we will just post a link to the comment thread in the project log thread and thats it done?

15. WilHarris

Yes :)

Limits on posts and pictures - guidelines, but not formal limits.

16. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I like this idea a whole lot... but I think it's going to be a bit confusing for awhile until the current logs are completed... unless they're now locked to thread starter only. I forsee alot of logs never getting commented on or questions answered because some people have their logs spread over multiple forums and won't think much to check a different section for questions or comments. I always thought a "Show posts by thread starter only" option in the Project Logs would have been nice. :D

17. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Will definitely work out better in the long run, project loggers will just have to get into the habit of making a project comments thread and linking the two :)

18. Pete_Venkman

Pete_Venkman What's a Dremel?

I agree with bloodcar in that questions by the project starter may not get answered in it's accompanying comments thread. Tho, I guess we could just ask questions about the mod in the actual comments thread?

Overall, I like it. I will definitely clean up the worklogs.

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Excellent idea, guys.

I do think that some of the ongoing logs should maybe be distilled down into the new format. For instance, I love the work done on metaversa, but I'll be damned if I'm going to reread everything AGAIN. Particularly when sometimes the reply posers end up copying the image tags and all.

Perhaps there can be an option chosen when you make a thread in one that says "Make comment thread?" and have it automatically create a link at the top of the first post. Sort of how the PM asks if you want to receive a confirmation. Don't know if that's possible, and I probably shouldn't give Rich yet MORE work to do, but... ;)

20. planki

planki ...

sounds like a brilliant idea, its all the posts like "woot" and "good job" that are meant in the best way started to annoy me after scrolling through pages of them just to view the latest update.