1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imminent changes to Project Logs

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by WilHarris, 7 Sep 2005.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Just an idea for a rule addition to the 'comment' threads to keep them cleaner. How about if you want to reference a specific picture from the original project log thread, you only use link tags and not img tags. It does get quite annoying when you have to scroll through half a dozen quoted images just to read the question/comment.

2. Pete_Venkman

Pete_Venkman What's a Dremel?

Any idea when this will be taking place?

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Sounds like a very good idea. I do get tired of sifting through comments to find posts by the actual modder.

4. crazybee

crazybee Black & Yellow

outstanding idea, I always just want to read the posts of the modder who is actually doing the project so I know what the hell he or she is doing.

excellent idea :clap: :thumb:

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

I would have thought it will have happened by the end of the week or the end of next week at the absolute latest. We're just finalising some other things at the same time.

6. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

I like this idea A LOT, I just hope that it's easy to go from posting an update to finding the comments about that update. A lot of logs have discussion going on behind them about what should happen next or what direction a project should take... it would be bad to burden the project's author with having to quote these back in the log thread to give credit where credit is due. buttons on each 'update' that said something like 'comment on this update' that put in a marker in the comments thread for which update they belonged to would be ideal.

7. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

maybe i should :read: is there going to be a quick way to subscribe to a project log (not the comments forum, some project logs may not have a comments post and that would make it difficult to monitor a projects progress)

8. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Nice idea! I will be much more willing to cruise the other projects when I don't have to wade through tons of non-project posts. So is bit-tech asking those of us who have current Project Logs to repost under the new format? I guess I could do it on another hot day when modding is out. :sigh:

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Your current project will not be locked off in the archive so you can still continue it there. However, we'd recommend people moving to the new forum and 'duplicating' the log there.

10. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Great idea! I think this will make it easier to follow a project progress and maybe it can allow deeper "technical" discusssions about the modding work in the Comment forum....

Let's see...

11. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

It seems a shame to loose all the feedback people have received in the log so far. If people had the ability to delete posts in their project log it means they could delete all the updates and post them in the proper thread...just an idea :thumb:

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

They won't be loosing feedback... the current project logs forum will remain and users will STILL be able to post in it. You just won't be able to start new threads, as that will now happen in Project Logs and Project Comments.

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Will there be any easy way to provide feedback to a modification without opening up another thread? Being able to provide response to the thread without opening up the feedback one would make things easier for those of us who have something to say, but dont want to deal with the hassle of digging up the comment thread :)

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

There *should* be a link in the original thread, provided by the modder.

15. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

YAY! "woot" good job"! Brilliant idea. :rock:

16. jackjr

jackjr What's a Dremel?

absolutely a good idea. Now when we receive a notice that a response has been posted in the thread we'll know that it's an update from the modder and not miles and miles of woots.. Sounds good to me!

17. TechnoScream

TechnoScream Minimodder

I think this will be a great improvement.

Good decision guys!

18. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

I think there should be a " COMMENT " link provided by the Project Logs forum page, going to the corresponding comment thread and opening in another tab (or window for those that use browsers that do not support tabs).
    I mean a link not created by modder but just provided in each post or page of Project Logs as a button, like the " QUOTE " button that appears in every post of forum. It should open "the reply to thread" page for the comment thread.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2005
  19. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

The first page of this Project Logs thread is an example of something that should not happen: a really long page loaded with too many images taking an exceedingly long time to load.
    This thread is an example of a thread just like the new ones you intend to have: the modder posting alone in his thread. That would easily give rise to those really big, image full pages, if you don't counteract it.
    I suppose that now forum engine just makes a page with some quantity of posts and some image number limit in each post; wich is fitted for threads like those that now form the Project Logs forum: a mixture of comments and modder posts, but not for threads made of modder posts only.

You should put a limit in number of images per page and in total images size per page so you would assure that loading time per page isn't too long.

20. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

woot. (!)
    Good move, bit-tech.