1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Improving Airflow On The Antec P18x Cases

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Seraphim Works, 11 Nov 2007.

1. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

I know quite a lot of us have a P180 or P182 case, or indeed a P190. Quiet and stylish (also fridgelike according to the girlfriend, but she likes the quietness), they don't tend to throw up too many issues.

However, if you happen to have many hard drives in the lower compartment and a hot graphics card in the upper compartment, you'll probably appreciate airflow could be better. What's restricting the airflow? Most people would think it's the large case door, but in fact it's the two little doors that cover the dust filters.

I've recently stumbled across a thread at SilentPCReview which inspired me to do some quick and simple modding.

Basically it involves removing excess material from the doors with a stanley knife, etc. Airflow is increased and components stay cooler.

[​IMG]

Since I did this, the four hard drives in the lower compartment are 4 degrees cooler, and the graphics card is about 3 degrees cooler. Not too shabby for 20 minutes work!

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Good idea! :thumb: Another SPCR tip - in the lower compartment, the ventilation holes around the PSU mounting allow air to be drawn in at the back by the PSU fan(s) if you're not using the central fan; sealing the holes with 4 strips of sticky tape (along with any gaps round the cable ducts) will ensure all the PSU fan flow has passed through the drive cage.

[​IMG]

[Note with 3-4 drives down there they recommend you do use a central fan]

I did see a comment at SPCR suggesting removing the upper filter (as most dust comes from low level), but after checking mine, it's doing a useful job.