1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a thousand years....

Discussion in 'General' started by outlawaol, 25 Jul 2008.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

in the course of a thousand years i expect, the world to go thought a 'mad max era' where it is based around fossil fuels running out, sensible people will band together and start new settlements, well not sensible more like surviours of this 'fuel war'.

A new culture may envolve, but still retain its flaws like today, how ever it may be a more humble existance, far more community based where hopefully people help each other.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Given the profound charges that have happened just over the last 100 years, I think that it is impossible to accurately predict 1000 years ahead. Except that people will still be people:
    QFT.

Oh, and I predict that there will not be a return of Jesus Christ nor a rapture.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

In a thousand years I'll be dead. What the humanity does then is none of my business.

4. ShredMachine

ShredMachine What's a Dremel?

No it isn't. Name a religion that ACTIVELY preaches violence. The violence comes from the people misinterpreting the religion, not the other way around.

5. Nexxo

Depends on your point of view. Many scientific, technological and cultural improvements and advances to our lives have been achieved by people taking the long-term view of humanity. Our plumbing (can't put a price on clean drinking water and hygienic flush toilets), medicine, democracy and other scientific/cultural advances that contribute to the generally civilised, decent living conditions we enjoy, stand on the shoulders of the visions and achievements of past generations.

"What you do for yourself dies with yourself, but what you do for others lives on beyond you, and becomes immortal" --Albert Pine

Islam, Christianity and Judaism to name a few. All have an abundance of passages in their holy scriptures not just sanctioning, but explicitly commanding the faithful to conquer, persecute and kill the "unfaithful".

For instance:

Christianity/Judaism: Deuteronomy 20:10-17 or Deuteronomy 2:33-36.

Islam: Sura 17:16 or Bukhari 84:57

There are many, many, many more examples I could offer you. It's a good thing many people do not interpret the scriptures literally.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2008
  6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

"The only thing we have achieved with technology is to postpone the inevitable." -- Me

;)

7. Nexxo

"Surely God would not have created such a being as man . . . to exist only for a day! No, no, man was made for immortality" --Abraham Lincoln

"While there is life, there is hope" --Anonymous

8. ShredMachine

ShredMachine What's a Dremel?

I know there are things like that but the key difference is actively. There are small examples like that in the book sure, but for gods sakes, islam as a word means peace! The commandments say though shalt not kill, etc etc.

I was referring to the religion in a broader scope. Islam has those sections to do with unbelievers but they state if islam is in actual danger. No religion actually says straight up 'killing people is ok', at least not without some kind of very specific angle like unbelievers and threats.

9. Nexxo

I really think you should read some of the chapters I mentioned, and do a little bit more research.

We're not talking "small examples" here; we're talking entire chapters (especially in the case of the Old Testament) of "Unprovoked killing of whoever God disapproves of is OK". Those texts are purely about tribalism: justifying conquest, murder and slavery of other tribes, and punishing severely those group members who would step out of line.

Both the Bible and the Qu'ran are pretty ambivalent, when you look at the issue of violence. People argue that this is becayse scriptures were written, contributed to and reinterpreted by different sources over centuries, all from within their own contemporary historical and socio-cultural contexts; because they are misinterpreted, or whatever. But they are wrong.

It is important is to recognise the functions of religion. Religion is cultural, and hence, tribal. Tribalism involves group cohesion, which involves compliance to social rules and pecking orders, and competition for resources with other groups, which involves sticks and harsh exchanges of view. So religious texts often have the mixed message of living in peace and harmony and forgiveness within the group, and waging war on and meeting out harsh punishment and vengeance on the "unbelievers", i.e. those outside the group.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2008
  10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hopefully we will be exploring space by that point (in one way or another).

11. Akava

Akava Lurking...

In a thousand years me and most of my desendents (if I have any) will be long dead, so don't really care what happens :D

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Humans will still be around, just hopefully there will be fewer of us!

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

our poop will be solid gold or something.

14. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

See Ben Elton's Blind Faith.

Therein lies my idea of future

Joe

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

all humans will be dead... they will be killed by the robots....

16. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Nexxo, the old testament is widely based on legalism. Mainly because of the Holy spirit not indwelling in the saved, and because God was still literally speaking to the people (meaning because of that you literally where practicing/remembering what God had told you to do)! You wont get this because you are not saved. It would be like trying to explain the function of a CO2 detector to a caveman.

Jesus is about grace, and by that I am saved. And NOT by my own understanding/strength/knowledge/works (insert humility here). If I lean on my own, I fall, if I lean on Him (Jesus) I stand. By His grace I live, and by faith I am saved. I dont try and change people, people are changed by Jesus. Nexxo, Jesus does indeed love you, and when you stand before Him and God you will have nothing to stand on. Our works are as filthly rags to Him, but through Christ Jesus I am as Holy before God as Jesus Himself. As hippy and offbeat as that may seem so be it. Just remember you wont have any reason that you denied Him, when you stand in judgment. My faith is about giving up self, all of it. And that is indeed a hard thing to do, I admit! But through that change, and that dying of self daily, I live through Christ, and Christ lives through me.

Take it as you will. Its the truth! Jesus does change lives...

17. Ransoman

Ransoman What's a Dremel?

....The Matrix will have us all.

18. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

So Nexxo has done nothing himself to be saved so he is not saved but you also have done nothing yourself to be saved however you are saved. :eyebrow:

Religion :confused: :hehe: :rolleyes: :lol: :duh: :wallbash: :yawn:

19. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

the human race will have evolved further spliting up into two maybe three or four species of homosapian

there will be the fat lazy dumb species

the strong athletic species

the very intelligent species

and maybe another

scientists marry scientists
    sportsmen marry sports women
    Lazy people marry other lazy people

I personally beleive this is already beggining to happen its when society recognises this and how it deals with it that will shape human future

20. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

and god help you if you're a scientific sportsman.