1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors In Car MP3 via iPOD + iTrip

Discussion in 'General' started by jetsetjimbo, 14 Aug 2003.

1. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Just wondering if anybody has used an iPOD in combination with the iTrip firewire FM transmitter to listen to MP3 audio in car?

I've just been thinking that it'd be a reasonably high quality way of getting MP3 in the car while being able to take it with you...

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I've heard it's ok, but with it being FM you do get a small loss of quality.

And of course, it'd be illegal to use it, and you'd have to ship it in from the States because no one over here stocks them (because of the legal issues)

3. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

you would lose some quality due to it beign off a fm modulator

to the head unit it would look like jsut another radio station but if you use RDS a lot switch the fm transmitter off when not in use as it can swamp the rds data

tbh if you ahve aux in's on you head init i would plug it directly into that like im gonna do with my md portable

what have you got int he car at the moment?

4. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

I just have a standard Ford stereo atm - I've not long had the car - and I was intending to use a tape converter with my mp3 cd player (I know it'll sound pretty crap) but the tape player only works on on channel (might be dirty or something) so I thought I'd get a cheap FM transmitter off ebay....

When I get a new car in a couple of months I might just get a decent mp3 head unit, but I fancy having something to use when I'm away from the car and it'll be pretty expensive to get both.

As far as the legality of the FM transmitters goes I recon it must be almost impossible to enforce...

5. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I'm going to manchester later on to buy some stuff from IKEA (DVD STORAGE!) and I've managed to locate a single iPOD in a store, so I'm off to buy an iPod today too!!! woo...

Trust me, the week I've had... I deserve it!

I was considering an iTrip, but I think I'll just go for the aux in jobbie.

6. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

aux in will give you better quality

/me dreams of his finall install with multiple headunits, line drivers the lot

& my md player jacked into the aux in on hy existign head unit

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Active Member

gjy_fawks has got aux in on his steareo and all we do sometimes is plug in me lappy and bang loads of music :D

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I got a Sony head unit that takes mp3 cd's .... a god-send I tell you!

9. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

heheh i bought the sony changer that does mp3 cds.... my head is the navigation system that came with the car still

Tags: