1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming In Focus: Is the Jedi Consular a Sith?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 10 Aug 2011.

1. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Errr... it's not law but it has been said by multiple sites. If you are different classes then forget it, it's just not possible. If you're the same class you have double up on companions and phase out of each other during certain parts. As far as I've read this quest arc is like this if not all the way through then most of the leveling experience. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And BT always tries to be subjective and tell it like they see it. There is a reason a lot of people trust their opinion. It is OK to be objective but you clearly cannot be. I want the game to be successful but right now it's turning out to be a 'not my cup of tea' affair.

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

You're wrong. The developers have explained the personal story arc as something that follows you through as you play the game and progress. Yes, it is mainly single player, and yes it is phased, but it is not ALL you do to level up. As you hit certain levels, another part of your personal arc will open up. You can do it, or not. It's up to you. Other missions, like any other MMO, are also available for grouping. As are instances, PvP, etc.

Digi likes this.
  3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

As much as TOR doesn't interest me, I have to agree with the other comments, this reads just like flame bate.

Video game Jedis have had Force Heal for as long as they've existed. Lucas Arts themselves had it in Jedi Knight, and it was a Light Side power.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a tiny, tiny deviation from the movies and one that fits perfectly well into the greater Star Wars lore. Really not worth an article on it to be honest.

4. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Sort of.

The trailer is actually somewhat misleading in that healing only comes with the "Sage" advanced class (something you pick at Level 10) and even then, it's a "choice".

In fact the "Consular" is merely only a choice for what type of story you want whereas your Advanced Class defines how your character plays.

The other Advanced Class for the Consular is the Shadow and that's a more Assassin like character with Stealth and a Double Bladed Lightsaber. They can then spec either into a Force/Saber DPS hybrid or can spec into a Tank-type class focused on Evasion (and maybe Parrying).

The healing aspect is completely locked out if you go for the Shadow and is only available to Sages who go down the relevant ability tree (the other tree is more of a Force based DPS class, similar to a ranged caster).

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

On a seperate point, I always presumed Palpatine's speech about a Jedi who could resurrect was a lie, like everything else he says, just to manipulate Anakin to the dark side.

Why are you so sure he wasn't talking total bullcrap?

6. Digi

If it's not a matter of you lose more than you gain by doing it this way then fine, I concede the point. Have some rep you git. :)

7. Phalanx

/bows

/flourishes robe, showing a brief flash of what could be a lightsaber

Your +rep is accepted. Now, about those droids...

8. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Member

Well I can tell you that you have read wrong. You can ALWAYS play together no matter what classes you pick, the only part you will not do together is the personal class conversations, some sections are phased out yes, but it's not to the extent you or Bit Tech have made out. I tell you this as someone who has been in the beta for SWTOR.

Straight away this article looks wrong from any Star Wars fan, just from the title. Like I said before though 2 days of playing isn't enough to give you a good insight into an MMO. Seriously after 2 days how much do you see of an MMO, very little.

If you would like to read some stuff about SWTOR look here:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/874061-SWTOR-information-gathered-thus-far-from-various-sources

That thread is the single most popular SWTOR place outside the offical forums.

9. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

*cough*

Small correction (i think).

I believe that Personal Story arcs are in fact "compulsory" in order to further progress yourself in the world. At the very least, the devs stated that by not doing your Personal Story arc you'd miss out on a lot of benefits (loot handouts, talents/ability points etc.).

I believe in one of the interviews it was stated that in order to leave Dromund Kaas (one of the starting planets, or early level planets) you needed to complete your personal story.

But you're right in other aspects, TOR is very much like other MMOs in that each planet has their own "World Arc" quests which are available to "everyone" (within Faction etc.) and can be grouped up on and completed together, with full multiplayer dialogue, decisions everything.

And you *can* go into Personal Story quests with friends, but as previously stated, only the actual "Class Story" person can make the decisions, so not to ruin their major story points.

10. Phalanx

When I said you don't have to, I assumed people would understand if you don't do it you'll lose out. It's like not doing certain quests in any other game. You don't HAVE to do it, but it's there if you want to. :)

That's because it's used to get you going, effectively helping to ease you into the game like an extended tutorial :) After that though, it's your choice :)

But yes, thanks for bringing that up. Should help clear up stuff :)

11. IonKnight

IonKnight New Member

Does amaze me the amount of ppl who have incorrect information. To put it simply yes there is a single player story arc (like every other mmo). But u can have ur friend join u on the quests, he just can't interfere with the conversations, that's all (and this isn't my guess it's fact i've played it and also this has been confirmed). So please ppl get ur facts straight also seems Bit Tech just like bashing swtor really but then i don't feel bit tech should review any mmo as they simply aren't mmo players.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Canon, not canon, spurious nonsense concocted for the game?

What does it matter?

George Lucas has been saying one thing is canon then pulling the rug out from underneath and declaring it non-canon for ages.

There were a load of graphic novels that dealt with the Clone Wars long before the Prequel Trilogy came out, books referenced it (M.A. Stackpole; "I, Jedi") and the original edition of the Star Wars Encyclopedia (a book) is pure canon details a lot about the Clone Wars but most of it was ripped up and thrown away when the Prequels came out.

While not all of the post-RotJ novels were good, I imagine that the canon of those will be ripped up and thrown away if Lucas manages to get a "sequel" trilogy off the ground.

13. Sensei

Sensei New Member

The game looks very bland and I suspect will contain nothing new. They have concentrated on making another online game where a monthly fee can be charged and make them more money rather than making something as unique as DA with a better combat system than in the original KOTORs and a complete graphical overhaul. Dissapointed by their decisions to go online with this one.

14. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

What was so unique about Dragon Age...?

I felt it played similar to KoTOR, except it had a better combat interface and graphics...

15. Digi

AHA! So I was half right! I strip you of that rep that was given in good faith. For shame.. ;)

16. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

This thread is too geeky even for me

17. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I think his post was right for the most part and in the same sense, you were wrong for the most part.

If i were to sum up my understanding of your posts it would be:

"You can't play with friends the majority of the time."

If that's the case then i'd say you're wrong (and if it's not the case then could you elaborate further with what you're trying to say).

Whether or not your Class Based Story (CBS for laziness) fills up more of the levelling experience than the non-CBS stuff, i don't know. However it's been stated as fact that there are "World-Arc" quests which are more akin to traditional quests you get in MMOs and are about the "happenings" on the current planet and come with their own plot, decisions and dialogue trees etc. These are what you'd expect from a typical MMO and allow you to group up or solo them etc.

If you are different classes, there's no reason you can't play together, you can both enter each other's CBS missions although the "host" (the one whose CBS it is) will be the only one who is able to make any decisions with regards to the story (so you can play it the way you want).

As for two of the same Class, you can still do it, but as you said, for the major plot points you're instanced out into separate rooms so you can make your own decisions. As for the same companions, that's not true since there are a multitude of companions to choose from, i believe bit-tech's gameplay was rather early level so they only had access to one.

Also, with the recent announcement of Companion customization, you can now change the rough look of your Companion (facial features, skin colour, tatoos etc. - not gender or race) so two chars. running around with identical companions means they're probably lazy.

18. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Impressive knowledge sah, thanks. And both of those options still sound like perfectly valid character classes to me.

19. kriswone

kriswone New Member

this is the same as Jedi academy, Galaxies, and KOTOR 1 & 2, the fact that you are complaining about it as being something new highlights that fact. maybe the editor(s) should have caught that, or maybe you are trying to gain publicity through criticizing. either way i wish you would post an apologies for your transgressions.

20. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I'm sorry, but Clive, have you ever played Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 ???

Force Heal is a Jedi Ability. End :p

Tags: Add Tags