1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the last 6 months how many people have you advised on purchasing a PC or Notebook?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hiren, 10 Jun 2008.

?

In the last 6 months how many people have you advised to purchasing a PC or Notebook?

1. None

15 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. 1 or 2

41 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. 3 to 5

95 vote(s)
    35.4%
  4. 6 to 10

54 vote(s)
    20.1%
  5. 11 to 20

18 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. 20 + more

45 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

Same here, if any one asks me what to buy, I say get an Apple, anyone can use one of those and they should have a great support help line, or if they want a cheap PC go to PC World and pick one or get one from Dell as they have support lines too. :worried:

I no longer repair or upgrade other people's PC's due to the same reasons. Like if their PC broke about 2 years later after I upgraded it, its my fault.... wtf?:rolleyes: No playing that game again.:nono:

2. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I work in a computer repair shop, and as the leading laptop technician, I usually offer advise 3-6 times a day.

As to people coming back with more questions all the time,, sure that's repeat business or growing the customer base as that person will tell their friends how helpful we are. As to bringing back an old computer, we have a cut-off of repair at windows 2k, xp, vista, or *Nix. Besides, I do still charge family for actual repair time or parts. Keeps them from bothering me too much.

3. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

Too many people should be an answer. I wish I got paid for it...

4. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Too many to count work as a PC Tech and manager of Forum Computers we got the PC Retail award for best tech support in the UK.

~Craig

5. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

20+. my old job was in an electronics store, so we sold computers and laptops.

i am also the go-to guy for nearly everyone i know about support

6. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

If they arn't afraid to use a computer then I would give them some advice on a decent purchase, however if they look scared and confused when i mention any sort of technical wording then I would probably just tell them to get a dell. I dont consider telling someone to get a dell advice.
    Thankfully I have just got a job in a building full of IT staff and will no longer be desktop support so I am hoping no one will ask me anymore :)

7. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

I'm with you. If you fix a pc for some friend(s), suddenly everybody seems to know where to find you and need your help!
    And of course me being dutch, everybody wants you to do it for free.

So i'm making a habbit of NOT fixing anything for anybody anymore. Well.... except for some of the ladies maybe ;)

8. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

6-10 IRL. way more if you count all my posts in various forums.

9. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

trying to explain the difference between a dual core and a single core to clueless people... a lot of fun...

it usually ended up with making comparisons to 2 brains on a plate...

10. SlickGnome

SlickGnome What's a Dremel?

I work at a big box retailer part time as a tech, so constantly advising people on what to get and when to upgrade. Some days I sell more computers then the Sales people do (I started there on the sales floor and have worked there 8 years where most of their staff is less than a year and don't give a crap about anything other than a paycheck). At my full time job I'm a network admin at a place of about 200 employees, and alot of them know I work at a big retailer and always ask me questions and advice. I'd say in a 6mo period I sell/advise several hundred people. Same with upgrading an existing unit.

11. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Poll now closed, thanks for voting :thumb:

12. webarchitect

webarchitect Software Mob

Not many..around 2 people. Two notebooks. One for my friend, the other for my aunt.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I've just helped my friend choose some system components for his gaming PC and I'll be putting it together on Wednesday.

14. kesa20

kesa20 spaceman

just the IT department, but actually they didn't advice me, they just presented me a new one. also cool.