Motherboard light panel What is decidedly "meh" is the light panel intended as a halo around the motherboard. I drew a few bits up and went laser cutting some acrylic. 5mm thick Opal 050 acrylic. This is actually my second attempt after the original clear acrylic version shifted slightly in the laser cutter and went wonky. Plus I couldn't find anybody who'd sandblast small pieces of thin acrylic (original plan) and there's no way I could get the finish I wanted through manually sanding Annoyingly though, it didn't feel right once I'd cut it. Hell, it didn't even cut correctly. Using exactly the same settings as the clear acrylic, there were some areas when doing the opal wouldn't go fully through and had to score and snap some bits out (with razor blade sharp edges my scarred thumbs can attest to). I passed it off as a quirk of the material given it only has 37% light transmission. But then I got home and did some test fits and things still weren't right. It's too thick. I forgot that opal acrylic is cast, not extruded, so we have manufacturing tolerances to come into play. Something like +/- 10% thickness + 0.4mm. OK, so 5.74mm is within tolerance. It's 1mm thicker than my initial clear panel though. A bit better Um, hang on, that's ridiculously out of spec. Is that why the sheet I bought cost so little? It's actually "B" grade? I need to thin this down a bit. Let's quickly line up some way of pinning this down. Wrap some electrical tape around some M4 screws to fill the holes better. And drill a hole pattern into my work board. Unnecessary pictures ahoy! Let's get rasping! And after about 5 minutes I stopped because even 6mm thick panel should've still fit, but could be falling foul of solder points on the board that I didn't need to consider before. Quick and dirty mapping solution. Masking tape the top side of the panel: Apply blue felt-tip pen to the bigger solder points, ICs and chokes on the underside of the motherboard and then press down onto the light panel in position (I still love how the board looks): Worked well enough to get an idea of where the bit items were, but not well enough to be picked up on camera, so no pics of the transfer I'm afraid. Drilled out some shallow holes and a rough n ready router channel: Now the board can sit in position and rest correctly without anything interfering. Except that it doesn't. Something is still not right and I can't quite see where it is. And it turns out I didn't even need to make all those holes for solder points because they're not the reason the board isn't flush, so I've trashed the piece. So 3rd time's a charm and I'm going to make another one, this time in 3mm acrylic so the cast manufacturing tolerances will keep it within my original plans.