1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Increasing search engine visibility.

Discussion in 'Software' started by jwil, 15 Nov 2004.

1. jwil

jwil What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone, I'm curious if anyone can help me with a little project I'm working on. I've been developing a website for some time, and I've always had a problem getting the site to show up on serch engines. The site is difficult to describe in terms of content, and I think that is probably my biggest problem.

I've been trying to build a somewhat Maxim/FHM/Stuff style online community with forums, a gadget blog and local events type of pages. And I'm not sure what would be the best way to optimize the site for search engine compatibility.

I think modern engines like Google disregard meta tags these days, and I'm not sure if they can crawl my forum pages for indexing, so I suspect that's why I don't show up on Google or Yahoo when I try to search for my site.

Does anyone have any recommendations? If you want to take a look at the source/layout, the site is: http://www.t-region.com

I'm going to refresh the layout in December so any advice you guys could give me would be great! TIA.

2. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Basic good SEO (search engine optimisation):
    • Use relevant keywords that are also in the main body text of the site
    • Try not to have your content too far down in your HTML
    • Don't use inline CSS or JS, link to external files
    • Put headings in proper <h1> ... <h6> tags
    • Title seperate pages differently depending on their content
    • Use descriptive ALT tags
    • Try to avoid URL parameters (eg. you can rewrite http://site.com/forum.php?action=viewthread&threadid=5424 to http://site.com/forum/viewthread/5424/ if you know what you're doing) - search engines DO NOT like dynamic pages
    • Try and exchange links with related sites
    Part of my job includes SEO and the things I've listed above will see you 95% of the way to getting the best rating you can (unless I forgot anything ;)).

3. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

Also, I find after you have done all the stuff above, actually going to various search engines and typing in your URL, and searching for it, seems to get it on there initial radar, and kind of gets it in a list for there spiders to look into. I don't know if this really works exactly, but I find it might have had an effect for me before.

4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'd echo Nihilist's points...

Make sure your pages validate.

And find ways to get your URL to appear on well-listed sites; the ideal way to do this is to get a reciprocal link to your site, but an alternative is to include your URL in your sig on boards like this one.

Most of all - be relevant. You might want your site listed high up, but if you dont have the right content, you never will.

Finally, there are no tricks, so dont try any of them - you could well end up getting blacklisted.

CJM

5. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

6. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Interesting what Nihilist says about dynamic pages...

All our football pages were created dynamically, but once we'd manipulated the generated headers to output <meta> and <title> tags our ratings got us consistently onto googles first page ... with a further bit of work we'd made it to always in the top 10 over a complete season.

Just proves the rule that there are no rules I guess

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I think he is still right in principle.

Bots NEVER used to follow dynamic links. Some can now, but to what extent we dont know. Others still can't.

So you still need to beware of dynamic pages. It's not that it wont work, it just that we cant guarrantee it will work.