1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Increasing tap-fed shower pressure

Discussion in 'General' started by liratheal, 27 Jul 2016.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

So, I'm in a rented property at the moment, and all's well except the shower.

It's like being wee'd on.

I can't go fitting anything too intrusive, being a rental, and I'd like to avoid drilling holes.

Has anyone got any magic tricks for making the shower a little more powerful?

2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Cold showers.

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

The usual way of sorting this out is a pump.

4. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

As above a pump, but you'll have to ask the landlord nicely about that. Probably worth having the conversation now as it will be even weedier in winter once you turn the amount of cold down.

5. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Depends how far you want to go really. If it's a gravity fed system there could be limescale build up somewhere, but unless you're handy with a wrench searching for it could be catastrophic.

Cheapest option is to get a low pressure shower head, plenty available. Next option is to get a single impeller water pump installed into the hot water. I done this for years until we re-done the bathroom and got one of these.

6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The short answer is that you're stuck with it.

A gravity fed shower's pressure is measured as a differential between the height of the shower head and the height of the water in the cold tank feeding it, usually in the loft and usually sat flat on the rafters, so one way to boost pressure is to extend the pipes feeding it and raise the cold tank by a metre or so.

The next solution is to pump the supply to boost pressure, but this requires a fair bit of retrofitting as you can't just draw direct from the hot tank or you'll get air into the pump and the cavitation will kill it.

Another option is to find a mains pressure water feed near the shower and fit a venturi shower, which sucks the hot water from the tank through Italian magic.

It's possibly the shower itself, but even swapping to a low pressure shower won't make a world of difference and the landlord would need to be involved for any of the above options.

Try Fishlock's suggestion of a low pressure shower head, and if it's no good have a word with the landlord and see what they're willing to do.

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Kneel down, give the water further to accelerate

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Food for thought!

I suspect the low pressure showerhead is likely to be the best option. The bathroom feels recently decorated, new loo/sink/floor so me farting around with it may not appeal to the landlord.

Also slightly less pikey than my thoughts of an aquarium pump and some custom pipework!

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

My landlord renewed my heating system and a modern boiler was installed unfortunately out went my skin stripping power shower and it came an electric shower and l feel I am showering under a watering can and I hate it. I have tried several different shower heads and a tiny improvement was all I managed.

Sort of got used to it but still miss the pounding I received from the power shower which not only cleaned but invigorated.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2016
  10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

That's a kick in the balls; I don't know why they haven't fitted a thermostatic shower that runs off the combi boiler. It won't be as good as a pumped shower but it'd be a lot better than an electric. Cheaper to run, too :confused: