1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Industry says Vista 64 not ready

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 15 Jan 2007.

1. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

Cool, thanks. The bad is that OEM versions look to be much worse value than they were with XP, specially if the changes in hardware policy is enforced.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You can turn off Vista extras by the way.

And I think Vista is doing the same thing as XP did. It was a marmite situation (and still is to some extent) you either love it or hate it.

3. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

If it were that easy :sigh: I don't love it nor hate it yet...I'm trying to make my mind if it will drive me crazy or not. Some things I love (the driver model should be way more stable, DX10, Media Center on Premium, even Aero), some are just "meh"(what's up with windows mail or windows calendar? ), and some look to be hideous (the start button, some changes in the shell, the drop of WinFS...).

I'm pretty happy with XP, but in the long run, you won't be able to game much on it, so for me, it's just a matter of keep being a gamer and go for Vista, or drop PC gaming and move to a Mac.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I don't have Windows Mail or Windows Calender on here. I choose to ignore them (Google calender has a widget and texts me, Windows Mail I only have Windows Live Mail for MSN, Thunderbird is nicer IMHO)

WinFS will be buggy as hell for quite some time, NTFS works fine for me at the moment and WinFS should be a relatively simple transfer and should be free anyway.

I don't game much on my hardware anymore at all, I have a Wii and an XBOX which keep me entertained and they cost a lot less to upgrade, as much as I would like to upgrade, in the long run a nice HDTV and a car will be better for me.

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

People, seriously, stop overreacting...

Complain as much as you want, within 1-2years you'll (mostly) all be using Vista, regardless of all the complaining everyone does before they migrate. All the blablah about going to a mac, I just don't believe it... If you all have so many problems with the way things are going, do like me, use Linux, and live with the consequences... All this "OMG Vista is the Devil, ..." threads are really making me sick...

It's like I went back in time, when Windows XP came around... SSDD (Same ****, Different Day)

6. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

It's not a matter of going Mac because of Vista. I think that, if it weren't for gaming, Macs would be better suited for what I need my PC for (basically browsing teh internets and donwloading from P2P and your tipical family media editing). Gaming is the only thing that keeps me tied to Windows...so if Vista gives me enough headaches, or I just don't see it as good value, I'll probably sell my high end rig and get an iMac as soon as Leopard ships. As Doug says, console gaming is less stressful and cheaper, and after finishing Gears of War, I've started to think that perhaps I can live with console FPS ;)

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Well here's where you are going wrong... Paul Thurrott is an MS mouth piece as was demonstrated when it came to the licensing fiasco in Q4 of last year. And Wikipedia is flaky particularly when it comes to issues to do with MS!

The most sensible thing I've seen on this thread.

Nobody is as smart as me, and you are right to be cautious about parting with your cash.

Don't think the criticism is all directly aimed at you. My points are general and apply to many. All this anti-MS bullsh1t coming up is stopping the real debate about the worth of Vista.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2007
  8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I use Windows Mail for newsgroup access - it's basically Outlook Express but done properly. I prefer it to Thunderbird for NG access.

I use Office 2007 at the moment but otherwise I'd use Thunderbird for mail...

The thing that I am disappointed with with Vista is the loss of WinFS. It's not buggy, it's vapourware. Last I heard, there is no guarantee that it will ever see the light of day. But it's one thing I would have loved to have seen in Vista.

9. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

From a brief read of that, it is not a load of rubbish. He states numerous times that HD content will not be playable on vista just the same as "Microsofts suicide note". He simply adds to the fact that neither will Apple or Linux (or whatever the hell you use) to make the world an even more depressing place.

It's the DRM on the disc that Vista determines is playable or not. If it is playable, it goes through rigourous encryption and decryption before being played, and that's where the loss in quality comes from. It's simply the movie industry we should be blaming, not Vista. But that doesn't mean to say we accept the fact it won't play. Ever since DVD, the PC has become a media centre. Now, we'll likely have to buy a media centre seperately, because the movie industry fears it's going to lose money through pirating. I don't think people are going to fancy having to remortgage the house to slump out on Blu-Ray or HD DVD home theatres to play a piddly £30 movie. People with high end PC's expect that HD content should be playable. :wallbash:

Now I can't see any reason to upgrade from our trusty, albeit unreliable windows XP. Want a glossy desktop full of pretty looking things? Use a Mac. Desktop design doesn't mean **** to me, it's what the OS does, and this one does.. jack ****.

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

No, I won't. This is exactly why I went to Linux in the first place. I realized, like you just said that it was a choice of either learn a new OS or shut up and shell out for Vista (and say "Thank you sir, may I have another" in a few years). The more I hear about Vista, the more I feel vindicated in my decision.

11. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

12. overdosedelusion

13. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 What's a Dremel?

I'm already using Vista Ultimate x64 (RTM), and suprisingly, even RC1, RC2, and RTM 32bit drivers work fine. No crashes, hangups, whatever. Quite resiliant.

14. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

That's the whole point… Microsoft's not stopping you from playing your content or placing DRM everywhere it can. That's the industry making the choice to do it. At least on Vista you can play that protected content, whereas on other platforms you simply can't.

Of course, all this is irrelevant to me, since I refuse to buy any DRM-infected content. :D

15. overdosedelusion

Have you tried playing HD content?

- How is it? Any degredation? Does it just spit the disc back out?

Tags: Add Tags