1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Infinitiy Ward: Beware fake COD5 beta invites

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Not entirely related, but I would much prefer another 'modern' setting to yet another WWII setting >.>

3. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

Call of Duty 5: Modern Warfare 2
    its a another modern setting

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Wait - I thought World at War was COD5? Surely Modern Warfare 2 will be COD6?

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

There is huge debate on that on Kotaku.. It's kinda scary how angry some people get over naming schemes.

Popular theory is that it's not 5 because 5 isn't mentioned in the title, but IMO, it's the fifth game, so.. It might aswell be 5 >.>

6. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Untill now i've always refered to Word at War as "COD5".. oops :blush:

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Its actually COD3 (the 3rd one made by the good devs!)

8. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

No-one has noticed the obvious spelling mistake in this article (Infinitiy)

10. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

Well, it's not the fifth game and it's not the sixth game either. It's not really the fith revision of the engine either. They sort of subscribe to the "because we say so, school of sequel numbering". It is the fifth COD game on PC, but that can't be right because COD4 was the third PC COD.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It's their franchise, so really it's whatever the hell they want it to be.

12. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

I have worked with Egosoft briefly as a developer near the beginning of the development of Terran Conflict, and I still have close ties with them.

I can state that no developer would send out random emails asking Joe Pubic to become a beta tester. You may have to sign an NDA, but there would still be too many worries about information being leaked before release if you just picked people at random.

I haven't seen one of these emails, but as they are classed as a phishing scam I assume that at some point you would be asked for your credit card or bank details. Again, no developer would do this, there is absolutely no reason too. 90% of the time the alpha testers are either in-house already or have come from a reputable source, and most beta testers are trusted people from the companies main forums. The first are paid through the normal channels and therefore don't need to send their bank/card details by mail, and the second are normally unpaid. (At least in my experience)

13. landi_uk

landi_uk What's a Dremel?

This scam is requests the user to supply their x-box live tag and password and may also want email address attached to Live account.

They then access the Live account,change the password to take ownership, spend any points you may have and also purchase items on your account if you have a valid card attached, and spam the url claiming to be a COD beta sign-up page to everyone on your Friends List

I haven't been caught, but a couple of people on my friends list have and both have ended up having to set up new Live accounts.

14. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

That is unfortunate. Many years ago I fell for a scam on bnet that cost me my chars on a particular account. Sometimes, even the smartest people don't think for a moment and do something stupid. I slapped my forehead about 5 minutes later realizing I had been duped but by then the damage had been done.

15. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

Er, wouldn't it be COD4 then? IW Made COD, COD2 and COD4.

Tags: Add Tags