1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Infinity: The Quest for Earth

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Invectus, 3 Sep 2010.

1. Invectus

Invectus What's a Dremel?

2. Invectus

3. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

I'm not particularly fond of flight-sim or flight-based games but it does look pretty impressive. Playing that on a triple-monitor setup would be epic.

4. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

been following it for a while, when (/if) it ever does come out, i have a horrible feeling it will absorb a large part of my life.

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I've been following the game for a good amount of time now (since about 2006), if you followed it from near the beginning you would be amazed at how it has evolved so far.
    Considering the game is primarily being made by a single person with a small group supporting him, it is beyond amazing how much progress has been made and how clean some things look in the design department.

Worth adding a link to the website for this game project as I'm sure anyone else who hasn't been following would love to see the finer details:
    Infinity - The Quest for Earth

I can't see it being ready for release for a good few more years, but I think it'll be one of those games that's worth the wait.

6. Invectus

That is impressive for a single-person, but I guess he built a decent community of contributors around it.

imagine building your own ships, space stations. Drifting around, exploring new planets, gather resources.. Hopefully it will be this type of game, drowl

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looks awesome, all it needs now is more devs to speed it along so we actually see it in the real world, rather than in alpha/beta for the rest of time.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Rise from your grave!

After more than a decade of on-and-off development (the Infinity Combat Prototype alone came out in 2006!) iNovae have finally launched their Kickstarter for Infinity : Battlescape, the combat portion of Infinity.

9. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Took their time with that. I remember being super psyched about this game like 8 years ago. Checked the website once a week and then it just.... died I guess. Unexpected that they are now making a comeback and they game didn't really look quite as good as it did in 2007 (at least in my memory). Pretty sure they'll get funded, but I think Elite and SC have kinda taken the shine from this. They should have tried to get some backing a lot earlier imo.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Ship and object models are a lot simpler, mainly because all the old community-designed models for the first big round of Infinity development ended up being too difficult to use due to the freeform collaborative development process (i.e. they were so mired in a quagmire of trying-to-determine-who-owns-what that it was impossible to actually get permission from everyone to use them in as product).
    However, the lighting and procedural generation engine has progressed significantly, and blows both Elite's Cobra engine, and Star Citizen's modification of CryEngine, right out of the water as it stands. However, Elite is going for a much more stylised look rather than realistic, and Star Citizen is in the pre-Alpha stage so is not in any way representative of what will ship.

Keith at I-Novae has had a DK1 and DK2 for a while, and has been playing with VR, so hopefully that will be a part of Infinity : Battlescape. The Kickstarter page mentions "Our team consists of virtual reality and game industry veterans", but that's the only mention of VR so far.

11. suenstar

Scott Manley's been given access to the prototype engine and has put up a video showing it off a little, so far the engine is looking pretty damn nice...

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Seamless landing is pretty cool.

13. suenstar

Yeah, you can tell that they've spent some really long hours in making the transitions from flying in space to landing on a planet as seamless as possible.
    I like how he managed to randomly bump into Dram halfway through the video, hopefully that is the real Dram as it's nice to see developers for other games playing online in things like this. :)

I'd be interested to see how powerful a computer we'll need for the final product when they've replaced the stock prototype assets with even better graphics.