1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

inspire 5700 better than £100 hifi?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seb835, 24 Apr 2002.

1. seb835

seb835 What's a Dremel?

Ive got a 5 year old hifi thats worth about 50 to 100 quid now. I bough tit for £200 5 years ago and im using it for my PC sound.

Does anyone think i would be dissaponted in the sound quality of the inspire 5700 system compared to this stereo mini system im using now?

2. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

For the money, given that the mini system has cdplayer, tuner and maybe tape as well, the inspire SHOULD be better. However, Speakers for computer use are generally sold on features rather than sound quality, so I wouldn't be surprised if the mini system (even that) was better.

Of course, separates 0wn j00 all.

3. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

Remember the 5700's arent just speakers, its also an external DD and DTS 5.1 decoder and connection center (optical, coaxial, din and two analogue in's from memory) which obviously adds to the cost. I have my consoles, vcr, external dvd and PC running through it so I find them VERY useful for that. Also beari in mind that youre getting 6 speakers instead of the 2 you currently have. The only criticism of the 5700's I have is that they dont project the sound image as far as I would have hoped, that said they are very very capable and the sound quality superb. It really depends what youre buying them for ...
    The bass is great tho ;)
    [​IMG]

4. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

seperates are fare superior and totally out of class with the 5700's no matter how great they are, but then again if youre looking for value for money youre gonna have to spend more...

5. seb835

seb835 What's a Dremel?

thanks for all your help...im looking for a 5.1 setup and the 5700s look pretty well specced...im just worried abou those small speakers, is there good sound quality? would it be better than my crappy £100 mini system in terms of richness of sound and quality etc

6. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

7. felix the cat

i think for the money you want to spend it will be best to buy a 5.1 system for your pc...

8. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Small speakers CAN sound very good. They have advantages over large ones, as well as disadvantages.

For the money, there are few other ways of getting a 5.1 setup. On a little reflection, I suspect that the inspires might manage to put one over your mini system for a given source (ie the computer).

9. felix the cat

the only annoying thing is, that if its ur only system youll have to have ur pc on to listen to music...well for me that would be a bad thing....

10. seb835

seb835 What's a Dremel?

well my pc is on 24/7 anyways so that wouldnt bother me

11. felix the cat

in that case id definatly go for that as youre gonna have to spend quite a bit more cash to get somethin better..

12. SuperScrubber

Absolutely ... it really depends what your priorities are, in terms of two channel sources the hi-fi would probably sound a bit better but in the surround stakes the inspires could best it. The decoder is actually very good IMHO ... integrates perfectly with my DVP-S725 at any rate. Creative really have pushed the 5700's at a market beyond just PC sound and from where I sit I cant recommend them enough (but then you aready know that :)).

13. seb835

seb835 What's a Dremel?

well im glad you think theyre good SuperScrubber, it does reassure me to buy the 5700s, but some people are very critical and dont like them. Are they just serious audiophiles who turn their noses up even to £700 stereo systems in favour of £10,000 systems which still only barely please them?

Im looking for good sound quality, not anything super quality but still a very good a sound quality to match say a mini or midi hi fo system that could be bought for 300 to 500 (£) in an electronics shop

14. SuperScrubber

while I dont by any means consider myself an expert I do also have a nice seperates system at home which I compare most things to. You arent ever going to get as full a sound from the small PC speakers but the quality is certainly there. I'd think theyd match (and maybe beat) a £300 system but the £500 might have them. Best thing is to try and find somewhere that will let you listen to then .... I know it goes against all your prinicples but somewhere like PC world are probably big enough to either already have some out or will get some out for you to listen too. :)

15. seb835

seb835 What's a Dremel?

hehe yeah ive been to pc world but they only had the DT3500 system which i thought sounded quite bland with very little high end coming out of the 4 satelite speakers.

ive tried about 4 PC worlds and none of them have th einspire 5700 to buy, let alone test