1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Install XP on removable media

Discussion in 'Software' started by Splynncryth, 7 Oct 2009.

1. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Before someone can say "use Linux", maybe later, but my experience level with it, and my needs rule it out.

Does anyone have information on installing XP to removable media? I'm doing an install to a CF card connected to an ATA controller via an adapter. It shows up fine, but the XP install process insists on putting start up files on another drive. I am assuming this is because the CF card shows up as removable.

Is it possible to do a strait install to the CF card, or do I need to do something like install to a 'proxy' drive, then image it over to the CF card?

2. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Proxy then image over is pretty easy. You probably have an old IDE drive laying around. Then just use clonezilla to transfer it across.

3. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I'm about to give up on this. I donno if it's the PATA->SATA->CF chain of conversions that's the problem, the PATA controller, or the CF card, but I just can't get things to work. The card is never read right in the system I'm trying to put it into.
    At least I remembered where I could get a small drive to use a boot drive, I had a 20GB left over after a 360 drive upgrade.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

So what have you done? You've proxied then imaged over? What does it do now?