1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Installed a Titan Fenrir.. Bit disappointed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by legoman, 15 Feb 2011.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

be good to mount the cooler the correct way for a start.

the fan is having to work against the airflow in the case really.

2. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

It's on an am3 board so unfortunately the cooler can only be mounted that way. had the same issue with my old system.

It actually didn't affect performance though.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

your kidding that the only way you can mount it

that sucks

4. Instagib

Instagib Well-Known Member

It's not so much a problem if he's got a case with a fan set the right way round to vent in the roof.

As for the temps; AMD sensor probs aren't as sophisticated as intel ones. Infact, there are even fewer probes on an AMD chip than there are on intel. Load up coretemp and it'll only give you one reading and it'll be wrong by a couple degrees (based on the fact i've always seen sub-ambiant readings). Even AMD Overdrive struggles to read the temps. Just another quirk of using AMD i guess.

5. shadow_boxer

shadow_boxer Member

Your temps look OK. Have heard of thermal sensor issues with AMD but that was a while back thought they#d sorted it now.

Never and any problems with my Titan Fenrir TTZ85 mounted that way either.

i7 920 Do 4.2GHz (HT) Primes at 75-80
    i7 920 Do 4.4GHz (no HT) peaks at 65-70degC

Just ensure decent airflow in the case.

Also I used MX5 TIM and not the stock stuff provided.

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

OP temps are out... had the same problem with my old mobo.. it was 10-15 below what i really was...

you do not have them temps, sorry

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Apologies for last nights noobism, i dong have phase change or refrigeration so ill never get below ambient.

Plugged in a thermometer and i have the probe out the back of the case away from the airflow, temp currently on this is 19.8c which is about right. Coretemp and speedfan are both showing the CPU core at 18c with PC wizard showing Core 1 : 17.4 °C Core 2 : 17.5 °C Core 3 : 17.5 °C so say 18-19c in idle. BIOS gave a reading of 20c a short while before so for arguments sake ill run with the BIOS temp of 20c which is still an amazing result.

Just off to run stress tests to see what occurs

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

OK, temps ambient's risen slightly to 20.3 and temp for the CPU peaked at 42.2c with all fans at the lowest speed. CPU fan still at its lowest and one of the 14cm roof fans at 12V dropped the temp to 37.6C.
    With the rear 12CM fan and the second 14cm fan the temp drop was marginal. Increasing the speed of the intake fans reduced the temp by around 0.5c so nothing to write home about.

Overall very pleased i do need to do more testing a few hours running superpi or similar but an initial burn test seems to have gone well

9. murraynt

murraynt Well-Known Member

Nice rig :rock:

10. shaunboy

shaunboy Phenom II's are cool guys

Before I got a Fenrir my temps were about 40+C on load but now hang around 25-30 on load. The lowest temp I've ever gotten was 15C because I'd just came back from a weekend away and the house was freezing.