1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing windows

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by modster, 18 Jan 2008.

1. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

I was building a new rig for a friend. After i finish installing windows, it reboots and after the windows loading screen appears, it reboots itself again and goes into an infinite loop. I have tried reinstalling with different windows cd, same happened. Ugh, so any idea what's wrong? Here is the specs.

Gigabyte P35 motherboard
    Intel 2140
    2gb OCZ gold memory
    an old 40gb WD hard drive (going to install a 300gb one once i get it to work)
    Sapphire 1950pro

Btw, I have already crank up the memory voltage to meet its requirement.

2. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Check the heatsinks. That sounds like the system is suffering from a temperature related problem. Is the heat sink attached properly?

Andy

3. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

!?

Why do you need to crank up the memory voltage? Just running it at stock, this is probably why the PC is restarting.

Also trying only one stick of RAM. It may be you have a faulty stick.

4. geo139

geo139 What's a Dremel?

It could be the hardrive?? Had a problem like this when a raid array was failing... Could just try installing straight to your new one if the above sugestions dont help!

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

My own PC suddenly started re-booting at the very end of the XP boot sequence after working fine for over two years, I tracked it down to a fault in one of the RAM modules. Run a memory tester from floppy or boot CD, I use simmtesters or there's another freebie from MS.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2008
  6. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

^^ What requirements???

When has there every been a need to increase a PCs RAM voltage to meet system requirements??

The only time you need to increase a RAMs voltage is when you are overclocking it - thus if your overclocking it - your system might be unstable.

I want to here from Modster - why do you think you should increase the RAM voltage???

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Some ram modules REQUIRE you set the voltage higher... hence the requirements...

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

my ram is 1066 ram and to get it to run at that speed i had to up the voltage to 2.2 from the "normal" 1.8.
    its really quite normal for people to have to up the voltage if they have high performance ram. if i try running at 1.8, I get blue screens.

9. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

Sorry for coming back so late! So yeah, there are rams that require higher voltage. Anyways, I solved the problem. It was just windows being stupid. I just went into safe mode and installed the drivers and it worked! Thanks everyone!

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Even with cheap DDR2-800 RAM these days.
    Code:
    Product Description	OCZ Enhanced Latency Platinum XTC Edition Revision 2 Dual Channel Kit - memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II
    Storage Capacity	2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB )
    Upgrade Type	        Generic
    Technology	        DDR II SDRAM
    Form Factor	        DIMM 240-pin
    Memory Speed	        800 MHz ( PC2-6400 )
    Latency Timings	        CL4 ( 4-4-4-15 )
    Features	        Platinum mirrored XTC heatspreader , unbuffered
    [B]Supply Voltage    	2.1 V[/B]