1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Installing XP After W7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Digitalize-, 12 May 2009.

1. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

I've got Windows 7 Installed Fine, but COD4 doesnt seem to work, so i want to make a Small Partition and Dual Boot XP for COD4, i tried this, but after XP unpacked onto the HDD, neither OS would boot, so i had to Reinstall the Windows Files for W7, and i got the Dual Boot option, but choosing previous Windows just says the install files are corrupt, any idea's?

2. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

Sure, this guide is for Vista but it should still apply. :)

3. Digitalize-

My Problem is, when XP Restarts to continue installation, nothing works :/

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

why dont you just use the VirtualXP that can be downloaded from MS's site?
    VirtualXP

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

was playin COD4 last night on Win7 ???? it does work.

could it be something else. ive patched it to latest version and all is well.

6. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

COD4 does work with Windows 7.

Have you tried to reinstall the game and patch it to the latest version?
    What version of directx have you got installed? you could try and update it.

7. Digitalize-

According the DirectX Tool in W7, Direct X11....?

And whenever i open it, i get the COD4 logo, then the screen goes black, get the spinning circle, then back to desktop, on 1.6 and 1.7. Reinstalled, and Tried on another System, just doesnt work. Im installing off an .iso copy as my Disc hangs explorer, and GAME wont swap. I Know Punkbuster wont work, but i tried installing without and it still did the same.

Will try Virtual XP.

8. Digitalize-

The E7400 doesnt support VirtualPC :(

9. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

what do you mean it doesnt support it? I have a T7200 and I can do VirtualPC ( though I prefer VMWare or VirtualBox)

10. Digitalize-

Well, Intels tool told me it didnt, and this months CPC Says the E7500 doesnt.

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The standalone VirtualPC program is different from Windows 7's integrated XP virtualisation of VPC.

The integrated version relies on hardware virtualization instructions which aren't common to all CPUs, while the standalone version merely takes advantage of said instructions.

This has been pretty big news, all over the frontpage :p

12. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

In VirtualBox you can choose whether to use the virtualization instructions or not, not sure about VirtualPC.

I really love my Q9550 in that aspect. I'm glad I invested in it.

13. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

You're problem is you need to install XP before Windows 7. [With windows you always needs to install the oldest version first]

14. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Pretty much yes, but keep in mind that any DOS-based Windowses need to be installed before any NT-based Windowses (eg. ME before NT 4.0), but that isn't too important nowadays. :)

15. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I think it's a hardware problem with 32 bit. If you have to much ram, large CPU, and GPU, Xp will not work. Whats in your system?

16. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

you've got a good point there... my server wont boot XP to install unless i take out 3 of 4 ram sticks (4GBs ram, nvidia 8600 gts, Q6600 )... it wont boot with OS install mode selected in the bios, so thats a point worth looking at...

17. Digitalize-

My PC Was running XP Fine before i updated.

I Dont want to remove W7 as its how i like it now.

18. Nicb

Digitalize-, if your talking about the E7400 system you have displayed in your post, then 4ghz of ram and GTX 275 is to much memory for XP 32 OS. XP will not boot with that in there.

Do a quick simple check and pull out 2 ghz of ram and then restart your system and see what happens. Maybe 3ghz just to be sure.

I just had this problem my self a few months ago.

19. Digitalize-

I Dont Understand how you can periodically go against what i know to be true.

MY PC HAS RUN XP FINE!!!!!

Im still asking, if i can install XP After Windows 7, not why XP Wont work, for ****s sake.

20. Nicb

No reason to get upset.

Let me explain further what I think happened. If you have 4 ghz in your system previously with XP sometimes what happens is XP will work but not use all the ram even if the ram shows up in your system as recognized. It fools some people to think they accomplished 4 ghz of ram in 32bit system with GPU and all.

Now that you have installed Windows 7 your computer is "truly"using the full amount of ram. Xp never gets a chance to run because the systems requirements have been laid out by your first installation by W7.

You can explode on me again and I'll respect your stubbornness but I'm sticking to the idea for now you need to take out 2ghz and boot up and see what happens. It simple to do and does not hurt to try so what is the big deal?

I have XP / Ubuntu / Windows 7 on one machine. I dual boot all 4 computers at home.