1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intego responds to Mac AV furore

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

"We are not telling our customers our car is unsafe because of our reputation"

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Exactly, until a super-worm massacres a bunch of Macs, Apple will probably stick they're head in the sand and, at least publicly, that no-one needs to worry.

4. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

lol the fact they've removed it, is like waving a red rag at a bull saying come get me boys

5. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Not really, they've been saying os x is virus free ever since it came out. There is plenty of "cool" out there for the first person to actually make a mac virus (One that actually infects multiple machines in the wild.).

Can't believe so much crap has been written about a simple support article. The other thread on this is plain nuts. People need to get a life its a tool at the end of the day however shiny it is.

(Disclosure: I'm a mac owner..)

6. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

is it just me or does this remind anyone of the makings of the Ford Pinto?

7. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

how is vista holding up in these recent months?

8. Vittorio

Vittorio What's a Dremel?

So far the only threat to OS X is the ones installed by its users in the form of trojans. Getting a virus on OS X is very hard because of the way it works, its based on unix which is a very secure os.

Also Apple has the advantage over MS because its OS is built for specific hardware and not open to all the add ons you can get for a windows based PC.

When is says" Requires windows xp or better, I bought a MAC"

(Disclosure: I got rid of my windows laptop and bought a mac, im now more productive"

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Lol sorry I started laughing when I read OS X is virus free, that made my day, thank you for the laugh.... anyhow on a more serious note ya Mac precious OC is certainly not bullet proof hell it was hacked faster then Vista was lol but anyhow theres no surprise that they are working on a virus scanner, the market is slowly growing giving people a reason to make viruses now for mac.

10. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securi...0,130061744,339284674,00.htm?feed=pt_security

I'm sorry but that's not true just search google for related articles. Hardware is also irrelevant, it's RARELY a scource of infection and you should note that there's not to much hard ware (GPU, RAM, External Devices) that's windows exclusive, it's mostly software. Finaly, Unix is Apples favorite buzz word, OSX is roughly based upon it, OSX is not more secure than either vista or xp. If you baught for security you made the wrong choice. But Kudos to you for productivity gains!

11. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

yeah, they had an article about that in CPU a few months back. The ubuntu based lappy was the only one un-infected after the competition was over.

Hacked in order (if memory serves)

OSX
    XP
    Vista

not hacked
    Ubuntu linux

12. Vittorio

Vittorio What's a Dremel?

If you read the article the last 2 paragraphs say it all:
    "Some experts have said that counting vulnerabilities is not necessarily reliable as a measure of security.
    Tristan Nitot, president of Mozilla Europe, told ZDNet.co.uk this month that it was more important to take into account the time it takes to patch vulnerabilities.

The amount of exploit code available in the wild also has an impact on security. While there are thousands of pieces of code that seek to exploit Windows XP vulnerabilities, exploit code for Mac OS X is relatively rare. "

13. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I would love to see you try to back up that statement.

Much as I hate Apple for being so arrogant I suspect their OS is more secure than anything MS has made...

14. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

I said more secure, if you browse the internet with an unprotected Windows machine your bound to be infected in very short order. However if you have even the slightest clue what your doing (ccleaner, glary utiliteis, advanced windows care v3, noton anti-virus) your windows PC is going to be just fine AND more secure than any OSX machine, there's also more to security than viruse eg: hacking at which OSX is still less secure. I did read the article I posted, I'm guessing that because your here at bit-tech you can handle a computer and subsequently you'd be able to keep a windows pc clean.

Read the article I posted then google the subject if your interested in reading more.

15. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

You used to be able to steal passwords from Mac OS X because it would store them in memory. Just turn off the PC, run a live CD, use a memory reader program and do the clever stuff (I assume a computer hacker would know where the p/words were stored somehow i.e. checking on their own Mac) and voila.

I think it was patched, but it's just an example that there's definately holes in any system no matter how secure you try to make it. Apple is built around marketing - watch the '98 keynotes speech on youtube if you don't believe me "Apple's most important asset is it's brand" - so I am not at all surprised they are idealists rather than pragmatists when it comes to virii or other such things.

16. Mike Sampson

Mike Sampson Banned

Well, he means there has never been a virus for OSX, which is true. And OSX has never been hacked so far, unless full physical access was given, so it remains the most secure OS sold today. Yeah, the clever way Apple separated users from the root account prevents viruses from ever spreading. Kinda slick.

17. Volund

That isn't apple, it is the nature of all unix-like systems.

18. Mike Sampson

Mike Sampson Banned

That was in the Classic Mac OS, never in OSX. Remember OSX is based on NeXTStep / FreeBSD, so it's never had those types of security lapses, except perhaps way back in early 1970's.

19. Volund

Ok, is anyone thinking that Mike Sampson is the reincarnation of Ted Landry?

20. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

then mind explaining how I just did that over the network on my friend's mac? (he laughed btw, and uses intego and a few other things I recommended)

No I will not post the code used as that is against Bit-tech's rules and regs, and wouldn't be right either.

Tags: Add Tags