1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Intel 600P, bargain or...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RedFlames, 30 May 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Yet another SSD Question.

Amazon have the 256GB Intel 600P for ~£88, provided you're willing to wait a couple of weeks for it...

...but is it worth it?

I know it's not the cream of the NVMe crop, but given some of the equivalently sized SATA SSDs are around the same price now, I wonder if it's worth grabbing one... or would i bet better served pushing the boat out for a Samsung 960.

TL-DR - A 256GB Intel 600P for £88, bargain or bollocks...

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nothing wrong with it IMO. Writes are a bit crumby but reads are excellent.]

I've got a feeling SSDs are coming back down in price. I saw a 480gb Tosh thing the other day for £110. I paid £130 before the hike for the same drive pretty much.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The 600P is great and bad at the same time, if you can get it for the price of a M.2 Sata speed drive its great, any more than that and its not worth it.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

This. It's no slower than a decent Sata SSD, but at the same time it's not really any faster in real-world use.

If you can get it cheap, do it. But personally I would save a little more and get a Sammy 960 and reap the actual benefits of nVME.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'll be honest, I have an NVMe SSD and a SATA 2.5" SSD (500GB 960 EVO and 500GB 850 EVO) and I can't tell the difference between them in real world use. It may depend on your specific use case, but for me they are basically indistinguishable.

6. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

I have the 600p and can't find anything wrong with it, read about slow write speeds but can't say I've noticed

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Probably becuase 500mb a sec write speeds are not slow in any real world use :)

8. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Same setup as me (except I have a 250GB 960), and you're right - absolutely no noticeable difference... Nothing like the transition from mechanical to solid drive!

For me it was a convenience thing, it's 2 less cables, and 1 less wallet sized thing to find a home for. If future Windows/Steam/Chrome updates start to actually make use of all the extra bandwidth, I'm ready.

9. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

So I went for this as part of a bigger PC upgrade, and it still has yet to be dispatched. This is the last time I preorder anything through Amazon.

Still, it'll be a nice deal if it arrives in the next couple of months. I need to cling to this thought!

10. silk186

silk186 Derp

I don't order anything they don't have in stock.
    You can be waiting weeks with no update.

11. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Resurrecting the thread to let people know it's listed for just over £80 at the moment! Seems like a cracking deal.

My delivery estimate is now 1-11 August, but hard to know if they'll fulfil on new orders.