News Intel, AMD partner on high-end laptop chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Nov 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Also it have been true when she said it. Things change.

2. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

The things is depending on how you connect the dots this isn't going to be in the 35-45W market, it's going to be in the 66-100W market.

Although for the life of me i can't think of a reason why someone would buy a 66-100W part with a superior CPU and inferior dGFX over a 15-25W part with superior dGFX and inferior CPU.

3. DbD

DbD Member

They have a whole range or Ryzen + Vega APU's to release right into that market. Surely they have just killed any ryzen sales for anything competing with these chips? RTG: Yay we made X million selling Vega to intel. Rest of AMD: but you just gave our main competitor our key competitive advantage and cost us 2X million by stopping us selling mobile ryzen.

4. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

So far we've only seen two Ryzen mobile chips though and both of those only come with comparatively small Vega's and no HBM, maybe there's a reason for that IDK. :confused:

5. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Member

I am not going to quote my post from earlier, I'll try and explain it in a different way..

AMD had to choose selected markets to attack with Ryzen. They had to do this because of financial restrictions. So they decided to target server with Epyc, desktop with Ryzen, and ultra-low power notebooks (15w models) with Ryzen Mobile.

For the entire lifecycle of Ryzen, AMD have no plans to release a 45w mobile chip. That means for 3-4 years they would be making no money from the hugely lucrative 45w market segment, and would be spoon-feeding the cash to Nvidia. This deal means the number of discrete cards in these laptops will drop significantly, and the sales will be coming to AMD through this deal, instead of going to Nvidia. This is nothing but a win for AMD, and there is still no element of lies or mis-information in what Lisa Su said. I hope that makes sense..

6. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Tags: Add Tags