1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Intel Atom 230

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by pacouk, 8 Sep 2010.

1. pacouk

pacouk What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

I understand that this may be a stupid question so apologies in advance but here I go.

I bought an Acer Aspire Revo with an Intel Atom 230 processor, I knew that this PC (or "nettop") wasn't going to be amazingly powerful but it runs at a decent speed for any day to day applications and personal internet usage.

However, any video websites such as Youtube or the BBC iPlayer used on full screen seem to be too much for the CPU as the video will play only a few frames per second, which is extremely frustrating.

I used to have Windows 7 loaded on it but swapped it to Linux Ubuntu hoping that it'd make a difference, which it did, but unfortunately the video problem remained.

Are there any settings that can be modified,or anything else that I could try, to try to improve the PC's performance?

Thank you for your help.

Paco

2. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

There isn't much you can do about this unfortunately.

This is the reason that some Atom processors come with the nVidia Ion chipset which handles the video decoding to allow smoother playback.

3. Akava

Akava Lurking...

IIRC the Revo has ION, so it should be fine.

Try downloading the new latest Chrome Beta or Firefox 4 Beta which both use graphics acceleration so should take some of the stress off the unfortunately slow Atom. Not that the Atom isn't great in a Netbook though :thumb:

Also, may I ask how much RAM you have? I found a great inprovement when I bumped my NC10 from 1 to 2GB.

EDIT: Also, make sure you have the latest Adode Flash Player.

thehippoz likes this.
  4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

good tips akava.. I can only get 480p smooth on the atom- gotta try the latest adobe flash and see if that changes anything

5. pacouk

pacouk What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try to download the latest versions of the browser and Flash player and see if it makes any difference.

I've got 4GB of RAM, this was my first guess so I went from 2GB to the stated limit on the specifications. Unfortunately, I would say that this made no difference whatsoever :(

Thanks again.

6. pacouk

pacouk What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try to download the latest versions of the browser and Flash player and see if it makes any difference.

I've got 4GB of RAM, this was my first guess so I went from 2GB to the stated limit on the specifications. Unfortunately, I would say that this made no difference whatsoever

Thanks again.

7. pacouk

pacouk What's a Dremel?

I've tried the updates but no luck. Chrome made a slight difference but the problem is still very noticeable. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Tags: