1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Bay Trail-M feat. ECS LIVA X: Worthy of Desktop Status?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 5 May 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

That's a really cool little box right there. Sort of feels a bit like the first forays that they made with the NUCs, low power and just about capable enough but not quite there. Now though and the NUCs are more than up to the task, yet the power usage has reduced even further. It'll be interesting to see where units like this are in maybe a generation or two's time.

3. gosh

gosh Minimodder

i'd love a system like this under my TV running arcade games & media but i have a £60 8" win8 tablet with an atom that can handle that stuff and has HDMI out. other than business use i really can't see the point in this kind of low-powered NUC - so many better netbook/tablet options competing for the low end of the market or you could simply opt for a media server and a £20 smart stick

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Out of interest, what was the £60 Win tablet you have?

5. Xir

Xir Modder

200$ isn't that cheap, not by a long way.

for instance THIS laptop/Tablet is ~285$, but comes with an OS, a Full HD 11,6" screen, a keyboard and an extra 500GB harddisk on top of the 32GB SSD.

The Celeron N2940 it comes with is also passively cooled

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

My Toshiba Encore (Baytrail-T (quad @ 1.33-1.86) / 2GB DDR3 / 32GB) acts as a perfectly capable PC if I connect it to a monitor* / Bluetooth KB & mouse.

The Bay-trail (and now Cherry-trail) Atom's are actually decent little processors.

Running BF2 at work on a tablet is refreshing..

*Sadly Toshiba fitted it with the weakest HDMI port known to man thus this function doesn't work 100% of the time.

Tags: Add Tags