1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm confused slightly, you said on the first page that the samples of the E6750 were held up in customs and you wouldn't have them in time to complete this preview, and that you only had an E6850. So how did you test the E6750?

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

By forcing the E6750's multiplier in BIOS - i.e. 8x333 rather than 9x333.

4. ukmaxx

ukmaxx What's a Dremel?

I have been eagerly awaiting the new processors with the 1333 FSB. I currently have an evga 680i board which claims to support the new processors. Have you run any tests to confirm that they work with no probs and don't require a bios update?

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Woo POV-Ray, I used that at university. Amazing rendering engine and so much fun to use. One of my scripts took over 26 hours to render on my P4 3.2 HT.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yes, the chip plopped straight into an Asus Striker Extreme without a BIOS update. :thumb:

I will test in the EVGA 680i too but it shouldn't be any different to the Striker. :)

7. ukmaxx

ukmaxx What's a Dremel?

Great thanks.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Rich tells me it does work without issue. He's had it in a couple of different 680i SLI motherboards during his mobo testing. :thumb:

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've actually thrown it in the 650i Ultra, three 680i SLIs (not the LT yet, although I can if need be, but there should be no issue), P35s and iirc a P965 too. :)

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Nice review guys.
    Though, to be honest, i think im going to stick to my E6700.

Sam

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks and that's a very wise choice :thumb:

12. trig

trig god's little mistake

can i get a "smaler window for release"? my e6300 will sell today (hopefully), and if these things are going to release in july, ill get something cheap to hold me over...otherwise, im grabbing an e6320...

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

Well, they're in Intel's rumoured July 22nd price cuts. :thumb:

14. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I'm waiting for the underdog and also those sweet price cuts. I'm hoping Phenom turns out to be worth the wait.....I want to see both companies' hands before I decide on anything just yet; especially when there's no DX10 games out yet.....

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I have mixed reception of this particular preview, but it does its job well. I think more feedback regarding a product's necessity--different scenarios of current hardware--should be included in the future. Plus, I'm not too big on the the emphasis on benchmarks in this article as they repeatedly convey the same result that was already expected.

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, I appreciate that.

Unfortunately, moving all of our CPU benchmarks to Vista (I will be moving to 64-bit Vista hopefully later this week - our MSDN account wasn't allowing us to download the 64-bit version for some reason) takes longer than just a few days of benchmarking. It's roughly a day of benchmarking per CPU once you factor in repeating every test at least three times - it's a far from speedy process.

In light of that, I managed to cram four days of benchmarking into three to get this done in time for the pre-release embargo and that was only thanks to three very late nights in the office. We benchmarked across a wide selection of applications in a quest to find scenarios where the higher bus speed can make a difference - there are some, but they're in limited quantities.

This was merely a preview (as clearly stated at the top of the article) of things to come. Don't worry though, we will have a full review of as many of the new processors as I can get my hands on (and get done) in time for the actual launch next month. :thumb:

Another example of things taking an exceedingly long time has been moving the mid-range graphics card benchmarking over to Vista - I've been working on that in the background now for almost two weeks and I'm finally getting close, but there is still a few days to go until I've got something that is worth publishing. :)

17. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Which Low End C2D boards do the 1333 chips work with? and with that pricing i am glad i waited to upgrade.
    If i end up getting one of the new chips what memory do you think would be the best to go with it on a budget???

Peter

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

19. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

what would be the best memory to go with teh increased FSB of the cpu? And which boards that have SLi as i am thinking strongly about that for now and waht about the ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS is that a good board for it?

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

Tags: Add Tags