1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Feb 2008.

1. Major

Major Guest

Crazy money, it's for people who have a lot of spare cash, and like their PC very much. :)

2. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Beast from the North

I'd rather go with that 3.2 Ghz Athlon one... I've seen it for sale at $183... compared to $1600?

This CPU costs as much as I'm gonna spend on my new computer...

3. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Just look at the similarly priced e6750's results in the article. And the e6750 has some overclocking headroom wheras the x2 has very little untapped potential. In fact you can get the e8200 wolfdale for the same price which is a bit faster again yet cooler.

Your always going to get better bang for your buck at the low end, and extracting the final few performance increases get increasingly costly.

4. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

I'm still going for the Q6600. With an X38 board I can afford to overclock to 3GHz and get the performance of a QX6850 for buttons. I also get future upgrade potential to the 45nm chips when I can justify getting one (and PCI-E 2.0 don't forget).

Now, where's that components list...

Andy

5. Ned

Ned What's a Dremel?

This chip is a complete waste of money. Anyone that wants an unlocked multiplyer would get the cheaper QX9650 which also seems to OC better. Q9450 is nice but you won't be able to hit 4Ghz with 8 multi.

6. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

any idea when the other intel processors are going to be released? Its already nearly mid-Q1 and there hasnt been much movement.

Btw by June shouldnt the price of this processor go down $200 like the QX9650?

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Your "Value" score is two points too high. :lol:

8. xtremeownage

xtremeownage What's a Dremel?

Yeah it expensive alright but there is one thing that really puzzles me-and thats the fact even with all the cpu advancements we have been given only a handful of software out there fully exploits that power. For example the Quad core arena began last year and its taking forever for patches for games to fully use all those cores. Personally i think NED is accurate is saying its a waste of money. Considering i preordered my Q9450 for 213 pounds. its 45nm, 2.66GHz, FSB 1333, 12mb cache memory and multiplier 8. All you do (as stated in the article) is over clock it to 3.1GHZ roughly and you get the 1600FSB,, considering your motherboard can handle it( ordered those new asus boards too with 1600FSB....). The Q9450 debuts 10th of march this year...I hope they don't reschedule again. I'm jumping from my e4300 core duo 2 over clocked @2.4ghz, 2mb cache, Cant wait for the transition. I've been feeling left out since best performance is with 4mb cache, 1333fsb in games like Crysis.

As far as Intel is concerned we will be purchasing these things in hopes to get major performance gains but still the games we have currently only use 2 cpu cores other than Crysis.

Price drops for that one will take forever to come down considering Intel's new CPU based on a new architecture debuts towards the end of this year.
    \\\\\\thus i quot johnnyboy700
    (This isn't for people with money to burn, its for those who have money to incinerate.)

Tags: Add Tags