1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i3-4130 (Haswell) Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 14 Nov 2013.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I couldn't be arsed before but now I think it is getting to the point where we need to say "Oi.... come on." (AKA, I've always looked at your review, but I read Anandtech's, Tom's, Techreport's and multiple other sources also. So I make my own conclusion from all these. Which, no doubt, is how I've come to the conclusion that if I was say, collecting metadata of reviews, I might vote Bit-tech down on the CPU reviews and weight your article less accordingly.)

Also, to put your second paragraph into "perspective" then, why do you even bother? If all it is achieving is hassle and your test will never reflect real world usage... ?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so someone wrote it for you and has left or no longer available? DANG !

3. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Basically, yeah.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I too check multiple sources (but never Tom's, I don't trust them) but I almost like the fact that BT focuses on older programs. Due to the fact that most benchers use the latest and greatest, it's hard to know if a new product actually has regressions for older software. AMD's FX series is a good example of this - it's actually a decent architecture for newly designed software, but it has regressions in many older programs.

If the test doesn't reflect real world usage, then yes, it's not really worth testing. Some artificial benchmarks that take full advantage of every instruction available to the CPU are nice because it shows theoretical maximum performance. I like tests such as gimp or handbrake because you can actually produce those results in the real world and have more concrete meanings than some arbitrary number.

But in the end, most people who read these sites don't care about real world results. If they did, AMD would be making at least another $1 billion a year in strictly CPU profits. But people like to show off and have the best of the best no matter how much they'll never take advantage of it.

5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I'm not being harsh at all. When BT review a GPU they show you what it can do in all of the current games. Thus they need to start doing the same with CPUs.

I mean look, let's put it like this. BT are obviously trying to sell these CPUs right? that's what reviews are for. So why are they making it very hard for people who want to build themselves a PC? You tell me what's the more likely of these two scenarios.

1. "Hmm I fancy playing Skyrim so I'll read BT's review and make my decision based on that".

2. "All of my mates are playing Battlefield 4 and I really fancy joining them. I think I'll check out BT's review to see how it performs before building myself a rig for BF4".

Oh snap.

It's quite obviously far more likely that people will want to build a gaming PC based on the latest 'killer apps'. Not ones from two + years ago.

Honestly I'm not being harsh, but BT's CPU reviews are pretty useless for those wanting to build a gaming PC to jump aboard the latest and greatest wave of games coming out for it.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Sorry Mate... I think we are getting our wires crossed here: I'm saying you can't say that the Forumites of Bit-Tech.net are ill-educated because Bit-tech's CPU reviews are seemingly out of date. Fact is, our loyalties lie in looking for ourselves. We like Bit-tech regardless of the reviews. The forum is nice and hospitable.

Otherwise I agree with you. ... although I must confess I stopped reading your above... just in case we have a needless argument. :thumb:

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Sell them? errr nope! We don't get paid by any manufacturer to review their products or anything along those lines. Review them in an unbiased fashion and give things a bad score when needed, yes. GPUs are much easier to test with more up to date games because they're released more regularly and we get far more samples. Many of our CPU samples are tied up in long term GPU, case and CPU cooler test systems and Intel is becoming increasingly difficult to get samples out of in the UK (they only supplied our 4770K - we had to buy our own 4670K and this Core i3).

We ARE looking at new benchmarks though so bare with us!

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

thank you! I didn't realise whoever wrote or has the source for the 1 click cpcsuite isn't available (for whatever reason). so writing a new 1 click suite , especially since you guys odnt get paid (or not a lot) isn't high on the ` need to pay the mortgage` list

9. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Not to be harsh, but it's been a long time since I've seriously paid attention to bit's reviews in any meaningful way. I like the writing style and the Britishisms, but Anandtech is my first go-to for reviews, then HardOCP and maybe a few others.

What bit has that the others don't is the community - bit has, in my opinion, the best community of any tech site that I've ever found.

10. schmidtbag

guru3d.com is my go-to site. Excellent writing, just about as in-depth as you can get, no record of ever being biased or bribed, unusual testing equipment (such as IR cameras), and highly knowledgeable community. Also, their community is friendlier than most, with maybe only 2 or 3 regular users who can have a bad attitude. I also go to phoronix.com, but that's pretty much just linux news and benchmarks.

I think BT's community is nice but I wouldn't say its the best I've encountered. Every tech community has its arrogant and hate-spewing users and while BT has relatively very few, they're also very prominent.

11. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

+1 and +1 :p

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A thermal imaging camera is on my want list, but I doubt I'll ever be able to justify the cost. Shame, 'cos it'd be great for the single-board computers I regularly review - and even better for quickly figuring out where to put heatsinks on old hardware. For now, I just build a mental 'thermal imaging' picture by waving an infra-red thermometer at stuff and watching the numbers change. Not quite the same, though. <sigh>

13. schmidtbag

Well if it makes you feel any better, thermal imaging isn't exactly useful for everyday hardware tests, it's nothing more than "very interesting".

14. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Yeah, not to cast aspersions on our competitors but for the purposes of a normal hardware review, a thermal imaging camera is little more than a fun visualisation toy. It can perhaps tell you where the manufacturers should have added another, or larger, heatsink but ultimately the device performs how it performs. It's probably most useful for the modding side of things - or for highly competitive overclockers - who will look to machine new heatsinks and other cooling parts to get the best from their hardware.

That said, we're always open to suggestions when it comes to our testing methodology.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's exactly why I want one - I'm all about the fun toys! I have investigated other options, mind. There was a Kickstarter a while back to create a Bluetooth-connected thermal imager that overlaid the data in a strip on top of the smartphone or tablet camera image. Neat and cheap, but not as convenient as a full-frame analysis. Couple of my friends backed it, though, and they're pleased with their units.

The other option I looked at was a do-it-yourself job like this one, which basically automates what I do manually: point cheap non-contact thermometer at a point on a grid, take the reading; move aim point to a new grid reference, take the reading; repeat until readings have been taken from the entire grid. Neat, but not exactly real-time: to scan an object takes about twenty minutes or more...

Long story short: when I win the lottery (which would involve me actually starting to play the lottery) I'm buying the highest-end thermal imaging camera I can find, then pointing it at everything. Hooray for technology!

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You make that sound like a bad thing? :p

Tags: Add Tags