1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i7-3770K CPU Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Apr 2012.

1. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Word-mo-trons suffered catastrophic break downs yesterday. Should be up and running again shortly.

2. User-sam

User-sam "Rare!"

Any update on the I5 3570K review ?

Cheers!

3. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

Harry I'm going to cry if that 3570K review doesn't appear soon!

Don't drive me to your competitors, I like it here. :grr:

4. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Well-Known Member

Another i7 920 here, nothing I've thrown at it hasn't been quick enough.
    Running 3.8Ghz but stable at 4.53Ghz if I really need the grunt.

Time to get a faster SSD and wait for haswel-e I reakon...

5. Woollster00

Woollster00 New Member

Not much improvement to warrant an upgrade on my 960 was expecting a little more probably upgrade in 2 years

6. spt

spt New Member

Am getting a little worried here. Today we have an article about facebook photo etiquette (really>?!?!?!) but still nothing about the 3570K

7. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

:sigh:

I'm a bit sad, something's not going quite right here.

8. Dewi

Dewi New Member

I think, looking at the tables from the 3770K review that we know what we need to know about the i5 chips.

The actual thing I'm holding out for, and what I really really (wishing upon the morning star sort of thing) hoping for is that the delay is because they are testing some z77 motherboards with the IvyBridge chips.

That would be fantastic for those of us upgrading come Monday!

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You realise that in future I will now flood you inbox with ASUS pictures!

10. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Really hoping for a review of the 3570k. Would like to see a few benchies comparing them at the same clocks.
    Had a play with a 3770k today and 4.6Ghz was stable.

11. Jo3y

Jo3y New Member

I joined up just to say how poor this review is, no temp section and quoting '4.8ghz easily achievable on air' when reviews all over the net are showing POOR OCing temps in excess of 80ºc at anything 1.3v or higher.

Go read Tweaktown if you want some real information.

12. Jo3y

Jo3y New Member

13. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

From the play i had at scan with a 3770k msi z77GD65 and a drak rock pro cooler. I managed 4.6Ghz stable with a vcore around 1.285v. Got to say i much prefer the asus uefi. Temps did start to rocket.

But ive got to say IB aint as bad as some doom mongers are saying. Im sure with a bit more time to tweak things 4.8Ghz may have been possible.

14. Agrobacterium

Agrobacterium New Member

I've been browsing around info about Ivy Bridge, and I see high temp of Ivy bridge being discussed often in bit-tech and CPC mag. Peculiarly I don't see any discussion regarding the thermal compound between the core and the heat spreader, something which is hotly discussed in Japan.There's a difference between Sandy and Ivy, the former has direct soldered contact while the latter has generic white compound.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/sebuncha/20120511_532119.html

The max temp fell by 20C just by changing the thermal compound, and frankly it's almost as dramatic as a stepping revision. To crack open the heat spreader is by no means recommendable for everyone, but perhaps CPC/bit-tech can do a thermal test where finally Sandy and Ivy are finally compared fair and square, as well as how-to section for opening the heat-speader.

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

I watched a podcast last night from PC-Perspective discusing the heatspreader thermal compound issue. They where talking about some other overclockers website that tested this and could not see any diference in using different compount. The guys from PCPer concluded that the Ivy Bridge is just hotter then Sandy Bridge.

here:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1258439/ivy-bridge-3770k-heat-spreader-thermal-grease-testing

and here:
    http://translate.google.nl/translat...bridge-vervangen-heeft-nauwelijks-nut&act=url

And here:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-3770K-intel-TIM-AS5-MX4-PK1-LQP-IX&p=5104115

So I really do not know what to believe anymore.

Last edited: 24 May 2012
  16. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

It will drop 10-20 degC off of a high volt overclock which is enough depending on your cooling to stop the thermal throttle happening on extended durations of high load.

Tags: Add Tags