1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Core i7-930 arriving Q1 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I agree.. unless it's 32nm.. which is highly unlikely. If it's not, then I fail to see why this would be an attractive upgrade for current 920 users... as the majority of us are probably running around the 4GHz mark already.... and being 45nm... this probably won't clock any better.

It is good to know that there will be affordable upgrades for 1366 though :)

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Damn it. I had planned to buy the 920 at the beginning of December.... hmmm, will wait to see what the cost is of this. I really down want to wait around for another few months

3. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Even if it is 45nm, the chance of the first few batches of silicon being exceptional (as they were with the D0s) could be worth it, especially for those of us who do not have great overclocking batches.

Maybe we will see a new stepping too?

4. trek554

trek554 What's a Dremel?

well have you stopped to think that this cpu isnt meant to be an upgrade for current 920 owners? thats like complaining about the E7400 coming out to replace the E7300. newer faster cpus come out all the time and just replace older ones in the line up.

5. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Actually, the article states, "At 2.88GHz it'll be a drop-in quad-core, eight thread upgrade for current LGA 1366 motherboard..."

I doubt that a great number of people will pay $300 for a measly ~133MHz increase, so there has to be something to entice people to upgrade their 920s. And it really isn't to lure new customers to the platform, as Intel is pushing the 1156 platform to everyone except the most hard-core of the enthusiasts.

At the very least, we should see a new stepping. Otherwise, the 930 would make absolutely no sense.

6. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Why are people getting their panties in a knot about this? Have you considered that its a new revision, and a refinement in manufacturing allowing higher binning at the same price. I don't think its intended to be an upgrade for a 920, just like an E8600 was never intended to be an upgrade from an E8500.

The only other thing i can think of is that i could be a 6core gulftown that has 2 cores failed on it, selling it as a 32nm quad core, similar to what AMD do, but that seems very unlikely. But it does pose the question what will they do with the failed 6 core CPU's? at 32nm and 6 cores its likely some won't be completely functional.

7. trek554

trek554 What's a Dremel?

you are reading to much into that. it simply means an upgrade for the platform in general not for the individual who already owns a 920 cpu. unless someone is an idiot, a 2.8 cpu would never be an upgrade path over a 2.66 cpu of the same architecture. since its being called a 930 its going to just take over that spot that the 920 is at now since it is getting dropped. again its no different than the E7300 taking the the place of the E7200.

8. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

32nm would probably make me regret trying to save money by going AM3.

9. ForumNameHere

ForumNameHere What's a Dremel?

I agree with Autti: maybe they're born and bred to be something else, but couldn't cut the mustard. Better than throwin' 'em away. Regardless, I'm glad to see it; I was pretty miffed when I read (among these pages perhaps?) that Intel was gonna go ALL high end with the 1366 stuff. I built a 920 system last Christmas and it was my first ever Intel system, and was steamed by the news. I've got this nasty email all composed in my head to be sent if my 920 dies and the only replacement is $700.
    Regardless, I'm just happy to hear it. Of course, I guess this just ASSUMES the price is right.

10. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Was planning a i7 x58 build soon, think i may wait for this..

Tags: Add Tags