1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Intel Core i9-10900X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Jan 2020.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It is true it has gone up since I bought mine, FYI I got it here for less than the £370 they are currently selling at, 5+ in stock at time of posting, but even so at £370+ £245 board, it is still cheaper than the £690 of the Intel chip, assuming you can actually get hold of the Intel chip in the first place, discontinued before its even sold :D

The old gen TRs do seem to have been discontinued status at some shops, perhaps why the price is rising back up, so get them quick if you want this sort of thing.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2020
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah it's clear AMD are selling off the dregs for cheap now. Shame the 16 core was so disproportionately priced compared to the 12 core....

I like this though. The platform is merely 2 years old and aside from the lack of pcie 4 it's still more than good enough. For me it was a huge update, as X99 dates back to 2014.

Ironically it seems they've only just fully sorted the gen 1 platform too. I had no issues at all once that Dec 2019 BIOS went on.

But yeah I'll admit I did panic buy mine. I knew it wouldn't be an ongoing thing.

Edit. Coming back to lanes.....

Remember I said I got a damaged SSD from my mate? Well let's just say he already has X8 pcie drives.

Couple that with my long term philosophy of looking at servers and workstations for what's coming in pc land and yeah, I do think lanes will be the future.

Let's face it, storage is the most exciting thing ATM and the huge advances made in the last couple of years.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

A HEDT machine is a box designed to perform a very specific task rather than general use. You'd be surprised how often that task is appended with "and be taken to the job site" in which case compact size and portability are part of the task requirements*. And in general, workstation cooling is "enough not to thermal throttle under maximum operating load" rather than the amusing "case made of fans" layout that dominates in the gaming enthusiast world (looks fancy in RGB, has little to no tangible benefit over proper ducting with 90% of moving air volume just going straight through the case without ever interacting with a heatsink).

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

With proper airflow design, the 'air volume' within a case should be as close to zero as possible. Either there is empty space because you;ve built volume for optional-but-not-installed components; or you need extra space in a folded flow path to prevent excessive losses from skin friction; or you're dimensionally constrained by a fixed form-factor (e.g. a 3U chassis isn't going to get any smaller).

MLyons likes this.
Tags: Add Tags