1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel débuts three-in-one radio chip

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

There was me thinking WiMAX was a dead idea..

Blind hope?

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't think it's ever going to be a big hit in the UK, as we've got high-speed 3G, which drops down to Edge or GPRS when you're not in a 3G-enabled area. With WiMAX, you drop out of the WiMAX zone and you have nothing.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Where I work we certainly get a lot more requests for 3G cards/dongles than even inquiries about WiMAX, if we start seeing it in the laptops we ship to customers that's just going to confuse them even more, which means (selfishly) I'll have to deal with more people phoning in almost in tears (And that has actually happened to me before now).

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think free or cheap nationwide WiMAX would be awesome..... but that is me..

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

WiMAX is supposed to (from what I've read on it) solve the "last mile" issue for major ISPs, and should be able to bring high-speed internet access into any neighborhood, along w/ being able to allow internet access to almost any part of the house.

This sounds really great, but with only a "maximum 30-mile radius" per tower, it's going to have to offer much more in speed/versatility before anyone will even think about using it in mobile devices that support/will support 3G. I think it's a great idea, but with as long as this has been talked about, I don't think it has much of a chance unless it is implemented sometime soon.....

With the increase in wireless speeds over the past few years, I can only say that I want this technology to become reality. I really hate wires. I need to read more about its (potential) security threats though.....

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well I certainly like the idea and hey being able to watch TV on the go without needing some kind of card is a plus. ^_^

Now I heard clear wire is going to work with the wimax chip so thats awesome, still a new company but they are well established in Cali so far and spreading eastward, living in Cali, it could come in handy.

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Now is pretty good - 1meg broadband for £18, and its meant to be used as the main internet service, unlike 3G, which AFAIK is mainly as a roaming thing. I see 3G and WiMAX as 2 rather different markets - the former being for people on the move, and the latter being as a replacement for expensive cabling to homes.

Tags: Add Tags