1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

intel dual core 820

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by f U z ! o N, 7 Jun 2005.

1. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

should i go dual core intel?
    i was thinking of getting a dual core intel 820. would this be better than a venice 3200+ rig
    heres what i was thinking of getting

amd 64 3200+venice
    a nice mobo
    1 gig of pc3500 OCZ dual channel ram
    and a x850xt

or intel dual core 820
    1 gig of ocz dual channel ddr2 ram
    x850xt
    and a nice mobo

of course i know the price differences

i love gaming but i want a fast, snappy computer. i really dont do any video editing. i want to be able to play games very well especially with battlefield 2 coming out

i also want future proofing hence why im leaning towards intel.

what do you think?

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If you already have a single core S939 A64, then all you'd need is a BIOS update to use an X2 chip in your existitng mobo.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

With gaming in mind, the venice without question. It should overall provide a responsive computer, and will beat probably every intel processor at gaming (maybe getting edged out occasionally by an extreme edition, but that's it).

I'd only say the Intel if you also do video reencoding or whatnot (ie ripping dvds and then xvid encoding them down to ~700mb), because you tend to almost have a useless computer when you're doing that for anything else. In theory, you could reencode and game at the same time with a dual core chip and have almost no performance hit in either.

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I would reccomend an Athlon 64 X2 highly over a Pentium D 820. Much, MUCH better gaming performance, and you will have all the advantages of the Pentium D over single core CPUs with it :)

5. f U z ! o N

ok well im going to have to find a cheap mobo for the venice as i am awaiting Crossfire

6. Firehed

But an X2 costs twice as much to start as a PD.

On a quite relavent note, Pentium D procs are available (as is PEE hehe). A fair bit above the original MSRP, but as least they're not vaporware like when the x800's first "came out".

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:
    i've seen X2's listed as being about £300-350 for the 4200 and 4400 in 2 places
    i cant see dual core P4's costing £150 somehow (course i havent seen any UK sites listing them either..)

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Although it is twice the price, it's certainly a very good processor - there's nothing out there that'll beat them ATM, and for gaming, it's becoming THE processor that isn't vaporware like the FX55.

[edit]Also, on a side note, I can't find an 820 anywhere...[/edit]

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

What do you mean Vapourware FX-55? You Brits having processor supply problems? Plenty of them in the states ;)

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

How do you plan to cool the dual core intel too? The heat output of these things is insane.... Certainly worth looking to either single core intels, the venice or the X2...

11. Firehed

Yeah FX55's are quite plentiful. On the contrary, I've yet to see anything from the X2 line for sale (although I've only checked newegg, but youre nuts to buy from anywhere else if you're in the US).

If the 820 is 20% over MSRP (that shows just over $300, I think MSRP was about $250), you're still just under half of the about $550 for the X2 4200+ (or the much more logical ~$580 4400+ with the extra cache). Don't get me wrong, I'm still all for AMD if it's any gaming system, but the much better pricing scheme at the moment for Intel combined with Dell and other OEMs utterly refusing to use anything else, it will help their sales.

Back more on topic, a $350 San Diego 3700+ will give better gaming performance than the ~$550 4200+ X2 until games are multithreaded. Overall I'd recommend the 4400+ with the extra cache and dual cores, which gives you great performance for the dollar (I think the 1MB cache equates to another 200MHz or so in performance for most apps), while having a still fairly high end processor which will do you a lot of good in gaming and a lot more good in multitasking. From a few benches I've looked at, it will give gaming results around the FX55 level at roughly half the price

X2 4400+ basically is two San Diego 3700+ chips in one package (same clock, same cache). As you have two processors, you have a slight advantage just because there's more room for the background crap you have to have running going on the second core. That should give it a slight lead. If the vaguely better gaming performance, much more futureproof setup and superb multiprocessing abilities are worth the extra $200 or so, by all means go for it (and consider the fact that a pair of SD 3700+ would be just under the $700 mark)

/edit
    regarding heat... the thermal output of the dual core setups is almost identical to the single-core version from what I've read. Only a few more watts, nothing near double. Remember, the sockets were designed to allow for only so much power to be safely drawn, and they have to adhere to their own standards unless they want to make (and then introduce into the market) an entirely new socket.

12. f U z ! o N

no the the power is only at 95 watts

13. f U z ! o N

and i think im gonna go intel. i can sacrifice a few FPS for better all around multitasking and such.

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The AMD X2 IS the same output as the single cored chips... Intel on the other hand...
    [​IMG]

That shows the 840XE, but you get the idea...
    (pic from pc-perspective)

<edit> Have a look here toms hardware are running a compare between 2 dual cored systems, 1 intel and one AMD. Thismorning AMD had been up for 100 hours no reboots, and Intel 18, with 4 reboots. Temps are also much higher on the intel system. Not trying to put you off, just you need to consider how you're going to cool the thing... </edit>

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

overclock.co.uk
    overclockers.co.uk
    and komplett.co.uk all have the 4200 for about £300 +vat and the 4400 for £350ish + vat
    now that should translate to about $600 but what with this being rip-off britain they'll probably be about $400 :mad:

16. f U z ! o N

deleted

17. f U z ! o N

well where can i buy the x2 if i wanted too?

18. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

dont think its out yet
    release date for the UK is 21st of this month, probably the same or a few days earlier for the US

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Right, stop this now "f u z ! o N", your double posting habits are getting on my tits.

20. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Just checked Newegg, and the 820s are themselves $312; well over the MSRP of $240 (Based on newegg price point of $158 + $80 quoted premium on second core). At 2.8 Ghz as well, you'll basically be castrating yourself in many games that are becoming CPU dependant.