1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel fixes 10nm process, promises Cannon Lake this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Jan 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

it's ok, it doesn't matter that much

10 years ago, my pc was q6600 with whatever the 2nd best nvidia card was......

10 years before that i had pentium 166 mmx!

back then everybody needed more cpu throughput cause everything was slow.

now, even the average joe won't notice if you doubled throughput overnight, cause that 10yrs old cpu will let you facebook etc....

3. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

typo - sorry
    "promise that the fist Cannon Lake parts"

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Whoopsie - I'll go fix that, ta!

5. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

"AMD manufacturing arm GlobalFoundries is claiming to be skipping 10nm in favour of jumping to 7nm with the first chips due to enter production in 2018." Considering Intel struggled so much with 10nm, good luck with that, AMD.

6. Gareth Halfacree

S'nowt to do with AMD, that: they don't own GlobalFoundries anymore. You missed the rather important word "former" from the start of your extract!

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Perhaps it's the cynic in me, but I can't help but wonder if Intel suddenly 'solving' issues with 10nm is because Zen (or "Ryzen") is sufficiently good to actually make Intel worried. It would be great to see some competition again in the CPU space.

Although, to be fair, I'm running five AMD rigs at the minute (an APU system as a proxy and four quad-socket machines - they do use older gen 6100 series Opterons, however...) but I'm also responsible for the same number of Intel systems, so...

8. mypickaxe

mypickaxe What's a Dremel?

Intel brought the Kaby Lake family to market in Q3 2016. It isn't "new" to the market, the only thing "new" is the desktop line. So, considering this as fact, bringing Cannon Lake by the end of the year isn't all that surprising.

9. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

We entered the era of 'Good Enough' at least four years ago. I'd like to upgrade my system this year. Weather it's Ryzen or i7 ...it will be good enough for +6 years to come.

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Yeah, my computer is still good enough with parts from 2011. Only thing I have upgraded is my SDD and my GPU.
    Any new CPU that comes out, needs to be a lot better to get me to spend the money.

11. AiA

AiA Minimodder

Only reason I have to upgrade would be for Battlefield 1, still using a QX9650
    but all the other games I'm still good.

I think we are 2 years behind because AMD was not a threat to Intel.
    I think 5Ghz was meant to be achieved many years ago as standard to. Remember reading something about that 10+ years ago in Custom PC

It will be interesting to see what happens if AMD can produce the goods.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yay so another Intel CPU that will not be worth upgrading to if you have anything from a 4770K and above.

I really hope Ryzen, is as good as AMD say it is because Intel need a good kick to actually start offering performance improvements, and lowering prices.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD becoming competitive will only force Intels hand if it's dirt cheap. Look at gpus the 470 and 480 have done little to nothing to Nvidias market share. And they are pretty price competitive.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's just not in AMD's interests to sell Ryzen "dirt cheap" - sure, if they can offer similar performance to Intel then they can differentiate on price to a certain extent, but they can't afford to a) cut their own throats and sell Ryzen so cheap that they don't make enough money to keep afloat or b) sell at such a low price that they destroy the perception of being true rival products to Intel.

That second point is fundamental, imo - sure, informed buyers may realise that Intel and AMD offer similar products but AMD deliver far better value, but less informed buyers will look at the price differential and assume that AMD's offering can't possibly be equivalent to Intel's - the old adage about getting what you pay for will come to mind (even if it's not appropriate). Let's be honest, informed enthusiast buyers make up a tiny proportion of the market.

That said, I hope that AMD can undercut Intel to some extent, and that this will mean better value for money for us (regardless of whether Intel choose to enter a price war). Of course, this is all subject to the standard Ryzen caveats - we need to see what the product range is actually like, the performance, price and availability (plus the total platform cost).

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Speaking of Ryzen and not wanting to go too much OT but do we know what IGP it's going to be using?

16. rollo

rollo Modder

None has been mentioned in any talk I have saw about it. I would assume it's a pure cpu without igpu. AMD talked about making apu chips but they have not been listed alongside the main chips