1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Haswell-E; Intel Core i7-5960X Review, X99 Chipset and DDR4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 29 Aug 2014.

1. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I hate to be "that guy" but if you need to wait for an annual bonus to be able to scrape together enough money to buy one of these, are you sure you've got your financial priorities straight?! The chips further down the range offer much better value.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Meamwhile one MSI and one ASUS board "expired" in the hands of the reviewers.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I will also be buying new graphics cards, ssd's and other stuff at the same time which is why I want to wait for my annual bonus although I do have the money for one next month, but I will just add it to my existing money that I have set aside and then add my bonus as well.

Will have roughly £3k to £4k for my build next year.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That's really disappointing for video editing. I was expecting it to be much faster than this.. I mean.. Haswell with 2 extra cores, and the video results over my 3960X are hardly worth the effort of upgrading. Only those interested in 3D rendering need bother with this it would seem. It seems to get a good trouncing by the 4970K in most things.

All in all.... what a waste of time. Why would anyone invest in this?

For an upgrade over SB-E it's a major disappointment. The power saving is nice, but not worth the cost to get it.

Looks like a 4790K is the way to go.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2014
  5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I would wager that the reason you'd invest in a 5960X and DDR4 would be memory bandwidth and PCI-E lanes. IPC and clockspeed performance obviously falls in favor of the 4770/4790K but that's more due to the fact that those processors have higher clock rates.

I'd wager that if one absolutely needed a cheap high thread/high frequency CPU the 5960X or the 5930X would fill that spot for a lot less than a comparable Xeon. Not to mention it can overclock. Is it faster than SB-E users? No, but I'd wager the DDR4 support, the native USB 3.0 and the full featured PCI-E lanes are probably worth the investment for some people.

That said, I have no idea why SB-E or IB-E users on X79 would migrate. Unless they really hated the X79 platform. It's no surprise though that the 4790K outperforms the 5960X even in overclocking and performance for video games. Not many are threaded in 8 or 16 thread configurations. For general use, unless it's IPC bound, I'd be very surprised if the 5960X outperformed the Haswell quads since they're still frequency bound.

Overclocking is unsurprisingly not as good either, let's be honest it's literally twice the cores. The awkward chip out is the 5820K though, it's got Sandybridge Speeds, with Haswell IPC and a weird compromise of PCI-E lanes. For Tri-GPU configurations I'd find the 5820K an unattractive proposition even if it is cheaper.

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Fair play mate. It's your money and I'm sure you'll enjoy that rig - at that price it is going to be a monster!

Tags: Add Tags