1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel HD Graphics 3000 Performance Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 27 Jan 2011.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well it's quite good seeing as Intel never has had anything worth buying in terms of IGPs.

This will definitively be an interesting part for laptops, seeing as it shouldn't be too difficult to implement

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

some laptops / netbooks are unable to run it, personally i would like the one i bought to be able to as that is probably the only game i would put on a netbook therefore benchmarking it is very useful to me

3. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

But the point here is that they're already throwing Starcraft II and L4D2 at it. Putting Minecraft into the mix does nothing for the testbed. If it can run either of the first two titles, being able to run Minecraft is a foregone conclusion. Take a look at the test results. In every single case, the performance numbers for Minecraft are far and away better than SC2 and L4D2. Adding Minecraft to the testing does nothing useful.

4. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

I agree that Intel need to focus on their drivers... as a Java OpenGL developer, I'd argue that the Java part of the equation is not really relevant to graphics drivers; it's just OpenGL they need to sort out to get Minecraft, for example, running better.

Minecraft has a stronger graphic style for being bold and retro than it would do if it had mediocre amateurish last-gen graphics. It's also a classic example of the kind of game that people who might use integrated graphics are likely to want to play.

5. Penfolduk01

Penfolduk01 What's a Dremel?

Probably showing my ignorance here, but Intel hamstringing all but the K series in terms of graphics performance may be for two reasons. Firstly, they want to make a killing selling the K series to punters.
    Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if they are deliberately lowering the horsepower to avoid any charges of anti-competitive behaviour. Hell, it might be to do with the recent Robocop-style "classified directive" agreement between Intel and nVidia. Intel may have agreed not to cut nVidia's legs from under it, so they can share technology that can go up against AMDs ATI expertise.

6. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

On-board (& on-die) graphics are for business use (and the very poor maybe?) and in business you don't allow games, if alone since all of them introduce DRM stuff that completely ruin the security of a system.
    But I can't deny I was curious about game performance though as many with me I'm sure.

7. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

That's quite a restricted view to think they're limited to business use.

Most "Hop online to facebook a mate" consumers have no requirement for a discrete GPU. Media Center box, etc.

8. superfal89

superfal89 What's a Dremel?

response

They've certainly improved though, depends on the game also. Notebookcheck has it at about ten times the OpenGL performance for Cinebench, and finally got Quake 4 to run well.

9. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

Shame you couldnt add Media benchmarks to the cache test..

10. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

minecraft is more demanding than the game looks. sure the textures look simple, but your hardware has to render thousands of individual blocks all at the same time.

my 5870 handles the game with ease, however it does run the GPU to 100% load frequently and my fan spins up, telling me the GPU is working a little. id say its a respectable test load.

Tags: Add Tags