1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Intel i7-8086K - 40 Year Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B1GBUD, 31 May 2018.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Does that mean you’ll be expected to pay a premium for it’s vulnerabilities to??

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It is a Limited edition of the i7-8700k.

General sentiment among the speculation is that is a highly binned version of it.
    No info if any extra oc headroom exists with 24/7 suitable cooling methods.

Price is technically unknown, leaks point to the wrong side of £450 though.

Which is a bit of a problem if true since the 8 core i7-7820x is currently £435 on amazon...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Core-i7-7820-3-60-2066/dp/B0731V14Y1

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I just had to post this. lmao. I actually lmao-d-ol.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah basically a pre-binned 8700k methinks.
    Price wise might be ok considering how much you can buy pre-binned 8700ks already for from ocuk etc.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I’ll take an Ian or Roman special, thanks.

7. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If the source is Gibbo then I'll go anything but sub 400

9. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

lol! Not a fan of his I take it?

It is listed as "ARV: $425USD" for the competition they are running as well so under £400 sounds about right. Source: https://game.intel.com/8086sweepstakes/ (click "See details" of the sweepstakes).

10. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

To be fair, what's with all the hype...??

Yes, it's an overpriced, selectively binned 8700K - with all of the vulnerabilities associated with the afore mentioned so it's performance is nerfed from the onset anyway.

I mean, would you knowingly purchase a flawed diamond just because it was sold by Gucci or Prada?

If you spray paint excrement or cover it with chocolate sprinkles do you change it's chemical composition or what it in fact actually is?

11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No. The way he acted around Vega put me off tbh, never met the bloke though.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

People do exactly that all the sodding time, because people are idiots.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2018
    MLyons likes this.
  13. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

lol @ chocolate sprinkles & chemical composition.

I get your point but for most people the security issues are meaningless, the performance impact is fairly similar across the board. Intel still has a stranglehold on the market, especially with regards to gaming so the hype is inevitable.

If I was using my system for anything other than gaming then AMD Ryzen would be a better choice, but I'm not. I'd rather stick to a more mature platform where game devs have already optimised for it. Rather than buying what is a superior platform but having to wait months for performance increases (if they ever come).

I must have missed that (possibly due the fact Vega was always going to perform worst than Nvidia's top end stuff so never paid any attention). I've also never met him but I do like that he is a bit more open and frank than some retailers staff. He has withdrawn his previous comments so I guess he got a slap on the wrist from someone.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Even if it is "only" £399 unlike what the leaks suggested that is still almost double the price of an i5-8600k.
    And it is not exactly a secret that the advantage provided by HT in games is negligible making the i7 chips obsolete out of the box (for gaming).
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_8600k_processor_review,18.html

15. MLyons

I agree he's much more open than some people. He just seems to substitute numbers from thin air when he has no clue instead of just staying quite.

16. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

I don't disagree, it is why I went with the 7600K over the 7700K last generation. I suspect the choice of the i7 over the i5 for this product is more to do with wanting it to be a version of their flagship mainstream processor. Less to do with actual market needs and real world usage, and more to do with marketing. You can chuck all the hard verifiable data and logic at people but 7 is a bigger number than 5 so it must be worth the extra money right?

Ah I see! Shall have to keep an eye on that taking some of his comments with a pinch of salt.

17. MLyons

I believe he said Vega 64 hit 55-60MH in mining and had some ludicrous fps in some game pre launch. It got quoted in a bunch of different places then it came out he actually had no real idea of where he got the numbers from. On CPU choice I've got to admit to being one of the "hmm, let's just get the best" instead of getting what is sensible.

18. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Well they are live @ £379.99. Still more expensive than I would have liked but this is Intel we are talking about so not surprising.

Yup, the older I get the less responsible I get with purchases. I just usually say "F**K IT" and buy what I want which is usually top end stuff, rather than what I need which is usually mid range kit.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Buy 8700k, delid 8700k.

20. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Check the 8700K clocks to 5GHz stable first! ;)

Tags: