1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel in trouble for 'racist' ad

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Aug 2007.

1. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

You and I are in agreement there. The ad is a bad idea, perhaps, but nothing worse than that. However, Intel can appease the people screaming 'racisim' and come out as the hero of the whole affair if they do punish the employee in question - turning bad PR into good faster than those sprinters can reach the other side of the office. It's been done before, and I suspect deliberately. Someone releases an offensive-but-funny viral ad that gains ten times the exposure it would have otherwise, the company vehemently renounces it (but still gets their name in the news), and everyone goes home happy. Sort of.

2. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

So... am I the only one who just saw a bunch of guys on a poster, as opposed to some darkbrownish-skinned men bending over and one kind-of-beige dude standing in the middle?

So... we're all equal and we shouldn't see any difference, but the people who say that are the same that scream "ZOMG RACISM" at stuff like this?

So... do I go out and about to find me some non-European looking people and apologise for the disgusting sorrow my fellow white oppressor caused with this ad?

Or would I be better off just sitting here and thinking that people who see "racism" and "differences" everywhere, whilst continuously whining that we're all the same (most people have gotten that message by now, I reckon. Time to shut up?), should go hang themselves. With a fair-trade rope, preferably.

God I hate people. All of em. Equally. I promise.

3. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

aCTUALLY ITS JUST A CRAP AD RATHER THAN A ""bad idea"" i seriously doubt any viral marketing was intended/planned tbh.

4. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

It's no worse than anything on TV.

5. Miser

Miser What's a Dremel?

Colbert :rock:

OT: The ad sucks, but it is not something to get offended about. Move on sensitive people...

6. led_zeppelinzoso

led_zeppelinzoso What's a Dremel?

First off, if we were in a truly politically correct, not tolerant, society, no one would have noticed this. Anyone who sees this as racist is just tolerant to racism. In the ideal world that we believe we live in, we are not allowed to show hate to anyone or anything… even though most of the white population would rather see a white guy in that ally at 3 am, if you know what I mean. That is still racism.

Ok, I’m white, and I admit that when I saw this I felt a little weird… kind of like, “am I allowed to think that’s bad?” “Am I racist for thinking that’s ok?”

Maybe they were highlighting a positive black stereotype, like… That black people are fast, and he’s upgrading from his old white athletes… lol?

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Way I see it, homey don' ask for jive, homey don' get no jive. Yo bunch a' crackers don' scan it anyhows. :p

Sometimes racism is in the eye of the beholder. Speaking as a person of colour (As Richard Prior would put it) I know plenty of people who have a chip on their shoulder about being black. Generally they make pretty good racists themselves. But that sort of figures; after all members of the white racist brotherhood have quite obvious issues with their own self-esteem too.

Don't worry about it. I don't. You can only be yourself and invite people to take you as such.

Beyond that, it's all dumb tribal dynamics. Speaking for myself, homey don't play that. :D

8. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

pretty much

sad times we live in, in fact stunts like this just end up confounding the problem

Tags: Add Tags