1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Intel Mac performance

Discussion in 'Software' started by scq, 11 Jan 2006.

1. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

True, downloading and installing OS X would be illegal. Depending on what the EULA is, you may not even be allowed to buy releases of Tiger and modify it to work on your PC (as I can almost garuntee Apple has implemented some kind of hardware 'TPM' chip).

Of course, this all comes down to what your beliefs are. A lot of games don't let people crack their NOCD, but people still do it. I'm not supporting that you go out and get Mac OS on your PC, but I think it's just ridiculous at how somebody shouldn't be able to do whatever they want with what they brought - and in the case of software, do whatever they wish - as long as they don't distribute it to others without permission.

2. phantomxc

phantomxc What's a Dremel?

well we should be getting our store demos pretty soon, and we are just as curious as you guys on the performance. We are definately going to try to get it to dual boot and all the fun stuff and some real world numbers. (only reason to dual boot is to try games ^_^ sooo shhh) so i will get back to guys. maybe compare it to the quad. tell me some programs you guys might want benched and i'll see what i can do.

3. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i plan to order one when i get back to uni
    (means i can access the student store)

4. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Just found out my car insurance is dropping from £1250 tpft to £650 fully comp so I may have a bit of extra cash ;)

'doc

5. customh

customh conflagration.

Sounds cool, good ol 20 inch imac we hope :nudge:

6. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Apples discounted pricing only lowers the price by a very little. Around, if not less than 5-6%.

7. fev

fev Industry Fallout

6% is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Sadly you cant run Visual Stuido on a mac (yet), so the day you can get a mac to dual boot XP is the day ill buy one.

9. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i'm pretty damn sure it was rumoured you could dual boot....

10. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

The verdict is a little out, although Apple have done nothing to stop windows from being loaded onto the mac'tels, they dont have a BIOS they use an EFI, Vista and im told by Sam0r MCE should work w/o a hack/wrapper etc.

'doc

EDIT: Hmmmmm http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/64E7EA353646669ECA2570F50012430B

Last edited: 16 Jan 2006
  11. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Yes its true Vista will install on a MacBook, break out the beer folks.

12. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

See my post above, if anyone gets news about windoze on mac please post the link etc.

Thanks
    'doc

13. customh

customh conflagration.

Still wont buy one out of spite that they wont let us install their OS on our comp so /me sticks tounge out and blows rasberries at apple

14. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

i'm going to HK in a few months?

Powerbook 1.83Ghz Duo (i refuse to call it a MacBook Pro.. i thought the name was growing on me, but it's not).

£1,779 here...

£1,449 in HK and that's before the discounts I should get if I try and haggle :D

over £300 saving :)

15. customh

customh conflagration.

Might not be around long if tech changes again at macworld next year, but seeing as ibook and powerbook lasted awhile im guessing youll have to live with it awhile

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

as long as i can get an engrish install j-pepper... wanna buy me one?

17. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

This is a little subjective, especially since there are too many variables (like the OS) but I'll say this.

Going from a 1.6GHz 17" iMac G5 (10.3.9) to the 20" Intel iMac (10.4.4) it immediately 'feels' faster. It boots substantially quicker, the system feels a hell of a lot more responsive, obviously the multi-tasking is smoother and it just seems snappier overall.

I have XBench numbers for the 20" Intel iMac and a dual G5 PowerMac in case anyone cares? (I don't put that much stock in XBench) I should have numbers next week for the 17" iMac G5.
    Within a couple of weeks maybe I'll do some comparison testing in WoW, I hear there's a version runs pretty some on the MacTels....

Tags: