1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel-Micron doubles flash capacities

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Mar 2010.

1. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

once SSD's get around $1 per Gig I'm down. That means at current performance levels a 128 gig SSD being offered for about $100 at that price and with current performance levels it could replace my OS drive. I find that anything smaller than that gets useless as once you install windows you barely have enough room to install 1 or 2 games.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

A 60GB SSD for about $100 sounds good.

Or a 80GB SSD for that price, once they get that cheap it's much better.

3. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I wanna see prices droping like ww2 aircrafts shot down, I only wish for a 250/256GB SSD since I have had 2x250GB WD RE in RAID 0 and never got to fill it up to half capacity, now having 250GB as boot drive, it never gets filled. For simple storage HDD are the way to go, more than one SSD is just ludicrous, not for people with plenty of chaching.

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Well, this is a good thing. Like every innovation though it'll cost some at the beginning. At current platter drive prices though, it doesn't bother me to have redundant drives sitting around with the same info on them (RAW pics). With the current SSD prices, that just is not feesable. And from the look of it wont be for awhile either.

Now that does not mean I would not get 3-4 SSD's and RAID them for some extreme performance! :D

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Good

is there any performance increase with the move to 25nm?

6. Goty

Goty Minimodder

SSDs derive their performance from the ability to perform many parallel writes to a number of NAND chips, so increasing the density of an individual chip won't do much for performance compared to increasing the number of chips you're writing to (though any performance increase in read/write rates to a single chip will obviously be multiplied).

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Next logical step would be picometre (1x10^-12) but I suspect they will use Angstroms first (1x10^-10). Failing that, they'll do what they did with microns (1x10^-6) and talk about "0.25um" and "0.13um" before switching to picometres. This is, of course, ignoring the limitations imposed by atomic size, and looking purely at the naming conventions.

Fizzban likes this.
  8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You can't raid SSDs, Trim doesn't work in Raid, while of course you can still Raid them to show off some impressive benchmark numbers its useless to raid ssds for normal usage as they will just get slower.

9. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

it's great to see progress, but flash memory still has a ways to go before it has a legitimate chance at replacing hard disks as the data storage standard. though this should make the SSD market much more appealing for us enthusiasts.

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Given the speed & acoustic improvements over HDDs, SSDs are definitely worth a premium - just not nearly what that premium is at the moment!

As a couple of people above have said, I think around a £1 per 1GB would be the psychological tipping point for my first foray...

11. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I remember buying a 4GB mechanical hardrive in 1997 for $400.

12. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I remember buying a 10MB HD in 1986 for 600 ;)

Tags: Add Tags