1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Intel might be planning eight-core desktop CPUs but AMD will still be strong in 2018

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 13 Dec 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

For some reason, the first page of this article isn't showing for me, on both Firefox & Chrome - I just get two drop-down menus instead. 2nd page is fine.

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Likewise

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Broken for me too in Edge and FF

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

The first page is like a choose your own adventure :happy:

6. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've notified the editors about the 1st page issue. :thumb:

7. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

That is usually the way it is in a healthy competition. It is rare that we see something like hammer vs prescott, where there is no reason whatsoever to choose one option.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I understand how that's a problem but i do wonder if not having a desktop chip with an iGPU is the cause of much cogitation for AMD, i would have thought the exorbitant price of DDR is causing them more worry ATM as a cheap discrete GPU will only set you back £20-30 whereas a decent amount of fast DDR eats up something like a third of the build costs.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Doubt the lack of iGPU is hurting them anywhere, the very low end where this is needed is very low margin hardware, competition is too fierce, they would struggle to sell a worthwhile amount.

At the low end and in mobile I can see the iGPU being an issue, but they have chips coming for mobile, elsewhere the iGPU is just a waste of silicon, how many scenarios are there where you want a massively powerful desktop CPU in your computer and are going to rely on a pathetic iGPU, it’s a pointless addition.

That said I did spend 30mins after upgrading my APU to an Athlon x4 trying to figure out why I had no graphics plugged into the onboard slot before the penny dropped :eek: :D

Tags: Add Tags