1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel: Notebook batteries will last a day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 4 Jan 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I'm sure they will at some time. However, Centrino was supposed to be 4hrs, but I guess the Intel definition of an hour is about 30 mins... :)

This from the Inq:

CHIP FIRM Intel is claiming that by 2010 your notebook battery will last a whole day. And it is also claiming that that's good for the environment, according to documents seen by the INQUIRER.

It doesn't say exactly how it plans to do this, and nor does it give a definition of a day. Yesterday was the shortest day in the Northern Hemisphere and in parts of Scandinavia the day lasts no time at all.

We think Intel means eight hours, but that's not far off being attainable long before 2010, so perhaps it really does mean 24 hours a day, which would be a breakthrough, indeed.

The claim comes in the run up to its launch of the Sonoma notebook platform and the introduction of other notebook chipsets early in the New Year.

More if you follow the l'inquage

2. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Still rubbish really isn't it. A whole day :eek: what a revelation. I know it is a good thing but it still sounds pathetic. I think they should fit 'em all with windup chargers - enviromentally friendly and good exercise!

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Its probably an 8 hour day, when the laptop is idle, and probably using a slow processor, like the celeron.

My friend has a moble solar panel which you can plug any electrical thing in and it will power it, you can use it for laptops. He also has one of these things like a dynamode on a bike, you wind it up and it generates leccy, but you can barely power a mobile phone from it!

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

In 2010 it’s more likely that lappys will have to run on hydrogen fuel cells to last that long.

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Or, if Intel ever make a mobile Prescott, it'll need a micro-fusion generator.

6. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

7. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

i doubt it, cellerys ain't that hot on energy efficency!

Thou i have a ARM710 machine, that uses only 8w, so with my 4.5ah battery hmmm :)

8. MovieFreak

MovieFreak What's a Dremel?

According to the exercise bike I use at the gym, I generate 55 watts of electricity while riding it.

I say we take all the fat americans who will die from heart disease and put them to work!

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

55 doesn't sound like very much to me - that suggests you're only burning 47.3 calories an hour. (1 kcal = 4184 joules; joules/hr = 55 * 3600 = 198000; kcals/hr = 198000 / 4184 = 47.3)

I don't use the bikes at my gym but on according to the elliptic cross trainer I can cane a thousand calories in an hour (1.16 kW), so unless you've got it set to simulate a gentle pedal through the flattest land in Holland I think there's a mistake somewhere! :D

10. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Are you talking about calories or Calories? There's a difference. Well sometimes there is. When you read numbers of calories on a food packet they tend to be in Calories or kilocalories. The same is usually true for excersise equipment. They display the number of kilocalories rather than regular calories. Maybe that has something to do with the discrepancy.

Tags: Add Tags