1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel plans to deliberately limit Sandy Bridge overclocking

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Jul 2010.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

No, my bad. LGA2011 is overclockable, just not known by how much.

The Mobo's and CPU's will be expensive compared to AMD's offerings though.

edit : the picture at the bottom right, the intel-2011.png, has the XE CPU's being overclockable by up to 57 bins, and the Non-XE version being TDP only + 0 bins.
    Therefore no overclock out of TDP boundaries if not an XE chip. No matter how much cooling.

This would push enthusiasts to the XE chips only, or to AMD since most of us do not have limitless money supplies..

2. pearl.of.wisdom

pearl.of.wisdom montonies

Yes well. As Someone clever pointed out before I could say it; this probably/I] only affects 1155, not 2011. If so it's [evil etc..] Intel's plans to force a distinction between the 2 platforms, forcing the purchase of the dearer platform, and I guess forcing the use of ridiculous quad-channel memory to boot. Well these greedy s.o.b.'s can stuff it. Don't these idiots realise the enthusiasts are the market-leaders for the rest of the industry?
    You, Intel, will reap this whirlwind.

3. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

I'd better start looking for another job then. Or just wait for the clever folk at Asus, Gigabyte etc.. to figure out was of getting around it.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Not sure intel will let them get around it, pretty easy to threaten them, if you break it so the chips are overclockable we will drop you as board partners bye bye 80% of your sales hmm yes it's anti competitive yes it's probably illigal but they can't do out about it.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And when AMD announced there would be no more core unlocking, ever, it took how long for mainboard manufacturers to find ways around it? point being, just because Intel plans something doesn't mean it will work out the way they hope.

6. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

why are people complaining about this and syaing they will go over to amd?

the reason you use intel in the first place is that there cpu's are usually more efficent look at there 6 core cpu compared to amd's (i know they are differnet arcitectures and the price difference is huge)

the clock thing will be broken either by the manufacters or by hackers either way i dont think it will last long becasue people probably wont buy it

7. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

My previous comment on the matter was a big over reaction, I had jus got home from work and was tired and ratty but it doesn't matter wether it's computers or anything else, people just don't like something being taken away from them.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, SB-E socket will use an external clock gen so it'll be similar to the current LGA1366 platform. :thumb:

9. wagoo

wagoo ドレメルってなに?

Sadly, this is exactly the kind of thing Intel does when AMD has nothing to keep them honest. AMD still haven't replied to Nehalem.

10. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

This move ensures that those who want top-end performance will have to pay Intel for their top-end parts, rather than some reseller who's payed Intel for a mid-range part and overclocked it.

Enthusiasts who want to OC themselves will have a greatly limited choice of parts - none of them cheap - but hey, what's a few overclockers compared to a huge market of pc gamers who want to buy a pre-built system? Intel is in this for money, and I suspect they were losing a lot of potential income to third parties who overclocked cheaper CPUs, slapped on a warranty and pocketed the difference.

Personally, as an AMD user, I'm quite pleased with this news. It'll drive Intel's enthusiast market half mad with rage, and hopefully a good number of them will turn to AMD just in time for their new architecture. It's not that I'm an AMD "fanboy" or anything, just that I think a monopoly would be terrible - a 50/50 market share would give consumers the best deals and keep innovation at a high. Currently Intel has left AMD in the dust, and this is what results - they can do whatever they want and don't have to worry too much that they'll lose customers because of it. I'm hoping this will boost AMD's chances of getting back in the game good and proper.

11. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Er... no? With both at stock the Intel is 5-15% better in most benchmarks I've seen. In some tasks the AMD wins by a similar margin. Granted, this is because the 920 is only 2.8Ghz vs 3.4Ghz at stock, but the AMD part is also a good deal cheaper.

Overclock them and the Intel wins, but if it were this generation that had restricted Intel chips, the AMD would be the clear winner - almost as good at stock but overclockable too. If AMD even manages to be as close behind Intel as it is now, it'll be in a great position when Intel enthusiasts start looking for <£200 overclockable CPUs.

12. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

13. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Talk about a window of opportunity for AMD.

14. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

It'll be interesting how this hurts the "Pre-Overclocked PC" market.

15. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Yup, bad move at roughly the same time as fusion is suppose to be coming out, but tbh I've long been sceptical about the real word benefits of overclocking, maybe a 3-4.4GHz jump, but I wouldn't feel comfortable running my PC that high stable or not, my Phenom II X2 550 idles at 23 and loads at 35-40 and its at 3.2GHz, a feeble 100MHz overclock but I just like round numbers :p
    But yer I think CPUs are getting so fast overclocking isn't really worth it now, for £500 you can build a PC to play most modern titles at modest quality so I say don't fret, most people won't miss it and the few that do will learn to live without it

16. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

so no more xtreme mbrds , so no more xtreme high prices for mbrds , its all going back to the good old days of beige or cream or just plain dull .

17. wingman99

wingman99 What's a Dremel?

This is really going to heart the desktop market for intel, most enthusiasts overclock for the fun of it, Boxed desk tops are mostly built for overclocking otherwise there is know reason to build a desktop that you can purchases cheaper to play games. All people really need is a laptop these days. if intel does this this will really heart there profit margin and half to fire the person that came up with this idea.

18. Dan848

Dan848 What's a Dremel?

There is already a 32nm K series out, the 655 with two cores.

I was hoping that Intel would have an overclock-able 4 core CPU with no video. A CPU like that should reach close to 5GHz on air with a good motherboard and cooling.

Unfortunately for me I do not know what Intel's plans are for the K series or if something similar [4 core] will be available and overclock-able for a larger socket.

32nm should put 5GHz 4 core CPUs on air within reach, otherwise why should overclockers invest in a new computer build?

Is 5GHz needed for most apps, including games? No. But, for many of us it is the fun involved.

Currently my E8600 clocked at 4.2GHz does fine for everything I want, including games. Why should I upgrade if there is not incentive?

Tags: Add Tags